1962 Chevrolet Sport Coupe Z11 409 "Light Weight"

409envy

Well Known Member
If im not mistaken GM distributed Z11 top end packages to a few select racers late in 62. These would be the prototype to the actual 63 Z11 engines. Im sure there are guys on here who can provide more detail than I can. The only thing that I can see in ghe pictures that would prove its a Z11 is the two piece intake manifold.

NASCAR FAN

Well Known Member
There isn't really a '62 Z11. Z11 was a '63 RPO. Chevrolet built a few 1962 Impala Super Sports with aluminum front clips to race in NHRA's new F/X class. The accepted number that Chevy built, by most historians, is around 20. I don't remember that these cars had aluminum front bumpers (I believe they didn't) but they did have aluminum inner front fender panels that the '63 Z11 didn't have. Two of the most well known examples are the '62 Dave Strickler/Jenkins "Old Reliable III" (white SS with red interior) and the famous white/ red Zintmaster SS. The story line on the Strickler car is it was later stripped of it's special parts and sold on the Ammon R. Smith Chevrolet used car lot. The Zintmaster car is one of the suvivors. These cars arrived from the factory with standard 409/409 engines. The "Z11" style heads and intake, which was purchased from the Chevy dealer parts dept by a select chosin few, were added by the dealership or car owners. The cars may have not done all that well in competition because they apparently diappeared rather quickly and didn't become well known as the '63 Z11 did. Chevrolet also produced an unknown, at least to me, number of '62 aluminum hoods and front fenders which, like the '62 Z11 style heads/intake went to a "select few". Don Nicholson and Dave Strickler installed the aluminum front clips on their '62 Bel Air Sport Coupes for match racing.

Ford also built a few '62 Galaxie 406 Fords F/X cars. They had fiberglass hood, front fenders, doors, trunk lid and aluminum front bumper and a base interior with Ford Econoline van front bucket seats and rubber floormat. For whatever reason several of these cars survived. I've seen a couple in Floyd Garrett's Muscle Car and other museums. The '62 Ford F/X cars I've seen also had 2 X 4bl. carbs instead of the normal 406 3 x 2-bbl carbs.

Old Reliable III:
http://www.google.com/imgres?q=Dave Strickler 1962 Old Reliable III&hl=en&sa=X&qscrl=1&nord=1&rlz=1T4GGHP_enUS369US370&biw=1680&bih=921&tbm=isch&prmd=imvnsob&tbnid=YTs9QIo3b9q4lM:&imgrefurl=http://www.monstermarketplace.com/hobby-and-art-supplies/1962-impala-old-reliable-dave-decals&docid=SpOIahYoBPzRLM&imgurl=http://cf.mp-cdn.net/7b/4f/09e561f3a8fa55dd046e92a8f466.jpg&w=425&h=317&ei=uCOjT_joM4O88ASxuPVy&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=363&vpy=146&dur=601&hovh=194&hovw=260&tx=136&ty=122&sig=107974084344109096990&page=1&tbnh=131&tbnw=175&start=0&ndsp=38&ved=1t:429,r:1,s:0,i:71

Zintmaster '62 409:
http://drag.racersreunion.com/photo/zintmaster-chevrolet-1962?xg_source=activity

1962 Ford F/X:
http://www.dragzine.com/features/muscle-cars-you-should-know-62-ford-galaxie-406-lightweight/

62BT409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I can only IMAGINE the price it will go for since they built it so big.

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
I can only IMAGINE the price it will go for since they built it so big.
I am fortunate to have a 1962 Bel Air with the aluminum front end and the high rise heads and 2 piece intake with aluminum water pump. I was careful not to say Z11. In all of my research I have learned that no one actually knows how many aluminum front ends were built for 1962. 18 or 20 seems to be the general consensus. All of the cars built were Impalas with the aluminum front ends awittily 409/409 engines and none were built with the well known Z11 engine components. The aluminum fenders I have are stamped with a 2 and a 7. The numbers are not directly side by side however very close which leads me to believe the 2 is for 1962 and the 7 is number 7.

It appears the reason Chevrolet built the 62's at the Flint plant was because they were setting up to build the 63 Z11's and they wanted to make sure they worked out the production problems. The only problem was the inner fender liners. When they put the aluminum into the press the results was a crumpled mess. Mine are very wrinkled and were even welded in a couple of places because of the splits in the aluminum. As best as I can determine there are about 6-7 of the original front ends still existing.
I have learned from several racers including Hayden Proffitt that the entire 62 racing engineering initiative was designed for one reason only and that was to win at Indy in 62. During 62 Chevrolet came out with a variety of specific parts to improve the performance of the 409/409. One was the Special Service Package of parts. The last of the offerings included what is known today as the Z11 heads, intake, valley cover and water pump, camshaft, etc. What is not very well known is that Chevrolet also contracted Carter Carburetor to made a few sets of 750cfm dual 4bbls for this set up. The reason was why would they use the same 3361-3362 carbs with better flowing heads and then increase the cu inches in 63 to 427 and still use the same carbs. Anyway, when Chevrolet determined they had a great set up of engine parts and a light weight package they decided who would get these parts. In my discussion with Hayden Proffitt and additional info to validate this, Chevrolet shipped the parts in 2 kits, one the engine parts and a week or so later the aluminum parts. NHRA would not allow the light weight aluminum parts to be used in Super Stock and changed the classification if the racers used those parts to AF/X. The engine parts were ok. Interesting Hayden shared with me he had been racing for Chevrolet and raced Monday thru Thursday at Lions Drag strip in Calif testing the car. He had written down every combination of jets and metering rod combinations base on temperature, humidity, tire pressure, RPM etc. When he reached Indy in the fall of 1962 he began and waded through all of the entries. The weather changed, clouds moved in, temps changed. He looked up his best combinations, changed the jets and metering rods and went out and out ran everyone. His hard work with the new Chevrolet parts partnered for a fantastic weekend out running everyone. Chevrolets goal had been reached!!!
One small bit of trivia is that all of the engine parts shipped were cast with what is known as "0" parts. These parts were experimental parts and never ever to have left the Experimental Lab. We all know these parts slipped out and all of the pre-Z11 parts ended up being what was shipped to the racers of the day. I am proud to say the Black 1962 Bubbletop I have with the aluminum front end is also equipped with all of the experimental "0" parts including the heads, intake, valley cover, aluminum water pump and exhaust manifold.
I hope this info is of assistance.

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Pat,
What is your opinion of this "O" part?

z11crank1.jpg

z11crank5.jpg

z11crank4.jpg

z11crank3.jpg

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
I will look and see if that number shows up on a listing I have of some "0" parts. What is it supposed to fit?

An interesting side note. In the search to gather info about all of the many different part number releases Chevy had in 62 attempting to dominate drag racing I ran across a retired Chevy engineer. A friend of mine had previously been the President of Chev Mtr Division and I called him to get a few names. When I contacted this engineer I began explaining what I was researching. During the course of the conversation I shared with him I had all "0" casting part number 2 piece intake valley cover heads, etc. all of a sudden the conversation went from being a cordial one to one of hostility!!! He began giving me the 3rd degree about having all those parts, he said they were for engineering evaluation only and were never meant to be in the publics hands!! I told him all of the big drag racers of the day had received those parts and I was positive these were some of those. I asked him to not "shoot the messenger" and that I had a second complete engine the same way and I was sure there were more parts like that across the US. Shortly after that the all I heard was a dial tone!!! Not really, but we cut the conversation off. Never did get any thing out of him except a tongue lashing. Research continues.

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I will look and see if that number shows up on a listing I have of some "0" parts. What is it supposed to fit?

An interesting side note. In the search to gather info about all of the many different part number releases Chevy had in 62 attempting to dominate drag racing I ran across a retired Chevy engineer. A friend of mine had previously been the President of Chev Mtr Division and I called him to get a few names. When I contacted this engineer I began explaining what I was researching. During the course of the conversation I shared with him I had all "0" casting part number 2 piece intake valley cover heads, etc. all of a sudden the conversation went from being a cordial one to one of hostility!!! He began giving me the 3rd degree about having all those parts, he said they were for engineering evaluation only and were never meant to be in the publics hands!! I told him all of the big drag racers of the day had received those parts and I was positive these were some of those. I asked him to not "shoot the messenger" and that I had a second complete engine the same way and I was sure there were more parts like that across the US. Shortly after that the all I heard was a dial tone!!! Not really, but we cut the conversation off. Never did get any thing out of him except a tongue lashing. Research continues.
It's a 409 crank with a very long stroke. Look at the offset at the crankpin boss where it has been modified. Don't know the stroke exactly, but looking at that offset, I imagine it's at least 3.65. probably more.
I got it and another 409 stroker crank with the 61 409 block I have. All came from and old racer in SoCal.

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
You could have a Z11 crank, I know that Mark(oil4kids)
Has an NOS "0" crank in his engine, I have the number somewhere. There were several Z11 cars and lots of parts running around the So Cal/ Phoenix area.
On my 61 SS thanks to you the intake was the last thing for it. The 690 heads and 068 block and intake all have casting numbers only 14-15 days apart.

rrw119

Bill Jenkins told me the 62 Impala which was OR III was built in Baltimore. The Z-11 top end was called a service package and they ran the car in B/FX. They match raced the BelAir hardtop with the aluminum front end and the Mark II service package. It normally ran A/S with a 409-409.

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Everyone speaks of the aluminum inner fenders and how wrinkled they were. I'm not the smartest cracker jack in the box, but I do know that if you press aluminum slowly it will definitely wrinkle. You have to give it a sharp blow to form it IMO. What the hell were those engineers thinking?

And those preceding posts were some AWESOME HISTORY.......:bow

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
I think it was because they used the same dies and the aluminum is thicker.

I'll call my Ford dealer and check on that Phil.:D I have bent aluminum and had it crack, but if I hit it with a sharp blow, like a hammer, it bent and did not crack. Aluminum boat prop for example.

Last edited:

threeimpalas

Supporting Member 1
Everyone speaks of the aluminum inner fenders and how wrinkled they were.... What the hell were those engineers thinking?

Given that these were race-only parts, I think they probably didn't really care how they looked as long as they resembled the production parts. They just wanted to go faster!
:burnout

troublemaker427

Well Known Member
Blk61409 in your earlier post you say the aluminum front end parts were delivered seperately from the engine parts. Would this mean that the cars such as OR III, the pale yellow Dyno car and the Zintmaster did not leave the factory with the aluminum front end parts installed and were just standard '62 409-409 Impala SS cars? Or did Chevrolet build some complete "aluminum" cars and also delivered the light front end package over the counter as parts to some racers?

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
I think in one of Grumpy's books he states that he got the car delivered with the frond end on, but he did not know if the factory or the dealer did the job. I seem to recall the 63 front aluminum was heavier gauge than the 62.

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
I think those cars were factory built, my understanding was they were all Impalas, if they weren't factory built some would have been Bel-Air Sport Coupes.

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
There were somewhere between 18-21 Impala 409/409 cars built right at the end of the 62 production built with aluminum fenders, inner fender liners and hood. None had bumpers like the Z-11's in 63, a few months later. All built in Flint from what I have been able to determine.

The info I have been able to determine is that the drag racers of the day received the parts like I mentioned above. There is no doubt some of these guys received one of the Impalas.
My belief is these cars were built to see how easy or difficult it would be. Once they learned how bad the inner fender liners looked they chose not to include them in the Z-11. Does not make much sense because Pontiac was able to stamp out the proper parts and many racers used the 62 inner fender liners on the 63's. I doubt any NHRA tech inspector checked much of it.
The aluminum thickness is different between the 62 and 63. I will check both of my cars, but I think the 62's are .026 and the 63 Z-11 is .041.
I remember the tops of the 62 fenders would wrinkle after the first or second hard run. Since they were so flimsy is probably why not many survived.

I have a copy of a newspaper ad from Don Steves Chevrolet in 1962 advertising 2 of the aluminum front end Impalas. I will find it and post. Others I'm sure have the same ad and Dan post. I spoke to Don Steves son a couple of years ago and he said they had a direct pipeline with Chevy. He said he remembers as a kid engines and cars would just show up! He said his dad was invoked in lots of racing, primarily Corvettes.

Hope this helps.