"Molasses In January"

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I live in the northeast and sometimes in July-August, it can get real hot here for days at a time. I've always run 20W-50 in my cars with no apparent problem. I drive then from late Spring to late Fall. I like the heavier weight of the oil for the summer. The heat really can thin it out. From reading these threads, maybe its time to reconsider some different weights, Carmine.

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
What about a magnetic oil heater. Stick it to the oil pan, and remove when not needed.
Thank you, Brian.:clap That's what I wanted info on, Magnetic Oil Pan heaters.:deal Everyone went off on a wild oil tangent. I didn't want to hear about oil. I appreciate everyone's efforts and opinions, but I have run 20w-50 in all my high perf. engines, and never suffered a bearing or cam lobe issue, or Any engine failure. With that said, I will continue to run it, in the future. I don't normally run this weight oil in the winter, but I had too many things going on, at once, and never got to drain it.:doh

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
I have even ran 15/40 all winter long with Lucas too in my Bronco with no ill effects. It would however take a little longer to build oil pressure. I like to run the Lucas oil additive in my bronco because the thing weeps at the rear main, and with the additive, it does not. Now go get a magnetic heater. Sorry for my oil tangent.:doh

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Why not a block heater that hooks into the heater hoses? If it's good enough to start a 4-500hp diesel in sub-zero weather one should warm your oil enough to start yours easily.

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Thank you, Brian.:clap That's what I wanted info on, Magnetic Oil Pan heaters.:deal Everyone went off on a wild oil tangent. I didn't want to hear about oil. I appreciate everyone's efforts and opinions, but I have run 20w-50 in all my high perf. engines, and never suffered a bearing or cam lobe issue, or Any engine failure. With that said, I will continue to run it, in the future. I don't normally run this weight oil in the winter, but I had too many things going on, at once, and never got to drain it.:doh
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
No apology necessary, Brian.:) Dave: I haven't seen those heaters in awhile. That, would definately be a big help. :clapThanks. 303 Radar: I agree...:clap