Flow Numbers 690 Heads

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I never knew that such a manifold even existed. :dunno
It's too bad they didn't make more of them.

I remembered this Mopar intake manifold shootout article...
http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/hrdp-0801-mopar-intake-manifolds/
Just to show how much difference the right manifold can make, an Offy dual quad very much like the ones we can get for our engines, made 475 peak horsepower and 437 ft. lbs. peak torque.
The Weiand Hi Ram made 540 peak horsepower and 494 ft. lbs. That's an increase of 65 hp and 57 ft. lbs. :beer

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
I never knew that such a manifold even existed. :dunno
It's too bad they didn't make more of them.

I remembered this Mopar intake manifold shootout article...
http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/hrdp-0801-mopar-intake-manifolds/
Just to show how much difference the right manifold can make, an Offy dual quad very much like the ones we can get for our engines, made 475 peak horsepower and 437 ft. lbs. peak torque.
The Weiand Hi Ram made 540 peak horsepower and 494 ft. lbs. That's an increase of 65 hp and 57 ft. lbs. :beer

I seriously believed Edelbrock was going to kick one out back when they were promoting the release of their 409 heads.....wrong again.Damn......

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I seriously believed Edelbrock was going to kick one out back when they were promoting the release of their 409 heads.....wrong again.Damn......
The big E deserves a big fat F for not doing something else in the intake department. Sure they wouldn't sell as many of them as they will their dual planes, but they could just charge more to make up for it. Couldn't be any higher than the couple of alternatives that are (were) out there. They are really REALLY missing the boat on this I believe.

61 Bubble

Well Known Member
Does anyone have the picture of the MOPAR 383 tunnel ram that was converted to these W motors? I recall it DID take some work, but that was the closest "off-the-shelf" casting that there is to the W motor layout and sizing.

Think "just maybe" this summer, I will fire up the CNC and make some 1.5" port plate for the intake track of the 690 W heads. Then just go looking for a MOPAR intake and start fitting that for next winters project? Not sure if I would go with the Tunnel or a "rat rooster" style of cross ram? I'm thinking the Tunnel would be less "work", and more impressive looking, plus ultimately working better.

Last edited:

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I was looking on my local Kijiji site and came across a couple of Mopar intakes that could possibly be adapted.
This first one is a Mopar cross ram...

z.jpg

This one might be even better because it has Max Wedge sized ports and it's made to fit the low deck engine.
I used to have this stuff written down somewhere but I think the max wedge ports were almost the same as the 690 ports.
If I remember right, I went onto somebody's site, maybe FelPro's and it gave the intake gasket dimensions.

Attachments

• zz.jpg
    zz.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 41

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I compared laid a max wedge gasket on my 881 and it was almost a perfect match. At least as close as the correct 409 gaskets. I don't know about bank to bank spacing though. I thought about comparing a Mopar valley pan from both a 383 and a 440 to the 881 to check for that, but never have.

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I'm SURE that we all realize that the distance between the left and right bank at the ports on a Mopar , is MUCH greater ?:dunno
Right. I mean spacing as in front to back difference from left to right banks. As in the Mopar heads may sit farther forward or back in relation to each other compared to a W. Not sure if I'm explaining that right or not, but it makes sense to me.