1005 ci

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
He could've just built two BWR aluminum W engines for a lot less money (the only chance I'll get to say that) with upwards of 511" each and about the same total power potential if built all out with billet CNC'd heads like that 1005 has. He would have even had cylinder wall thickness for future rebuilds.
Would have made for a much cooler twin engine dragster of funny car!!! Plus if he popped one of them he'd have half the replacement cost to deal with. (Not that someone with that kinda money cares.)
You could probably finish every 409 build that us guys have going currently for less money than you'd pay for that billet block and heads. Bet those 12" tall cam lobes ain't cheap either. (just a little exaggeration there)

Quickshift409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Sonny's Godfather making 2HP per cubic in. when it's naturally aspirated sounds very strong to me. :rub But I wonder what the price tag is. :yikes :hide.

HemiChallenger71

Well Known Member
I dont know what it is but these giant one off cnc pieces of big HP and big $$$ dont do much for me. Id rather read an article about a 16 litre diesel that makes 4,000ft. lbs. @ 1500rpm

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Id rather read an article about a 16 litre diesel that makes 4,000ft. lbs. @ 1500rpm

It's funny, as I was reading that article I noticed that the engine made 1,500 ft. lbs. of torque.
That's a little less than the average 450 hp. diesel truck engine.
But if you were looking for something to power a Pro Mod or Mountain Motor class car one of these big gas burners from Sonny's would get you down the track a lot quicker. :D
I think they might also sell some of these engines to tractor pull and race boat guys.
I'm also guessing someone will stuff one in a street car,,, if it hasn't been done already. :rolleyes