Are the front wing posts available repro for a 63?

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
My front and rear bumper's were $1200.00. The quarter window and front frame's i would have to dig to find that,but that could be close to what mine were. The bucket seat surround chrome was $450.00 for the pair.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Sometimes you need to stand back a bit and reevaluate the project. Many of these prices are absurd, are you restoring a Z11?, an orig 409 car?, not even an SS?. Being buried in debt in a car that will be worth 1/2 the amount of the restoration is not something I care to do. Maybe sometimes those Chinese repop bumpers are the way to go. Just a thought.

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
58 Delivery makes a good point. One of my 61's that won national awards had bumpers from Bumper Boys. Granted, I went to Carlisle and picked thru the pile. Some of these repo parts don't look good at all if you are examing them individually but once they are instaled and you look at the car in general the flaws don't show up.

bobs409

Administrator
I wish they repro the window frames and front posts. I hate to put that kind of money into something nobody will even notice. Now bumpers are a big part of the car and probably worth the extra effort.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Sometimes you need to stand back a bit and reevaluate the project. Many of these prices are absurd, are you restoring a Z11?, an orig 409 car?, not even an SS?. Being buried in debt in a car that will be worth 1/2 the amount of the restoration is not something I care to do. Maybe sometimes those Chinese repop bumpers are the way to go. Just a thought.
I agree with you only on what you do with your vehicle's. You buy and sell a lot as by seeing your avatar's, so yeah i can see your investment side of it. I don't plan on selling my car , it's all paid for. I don't owe a dime on it, so if i put something on i am not happy with, i will have to look at it, and get pissed off every time i see it.

Last edited:

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
I wish they repro the window frames and front posts. I hate to put that kind of money into something nobody will even notice. Now bumpers are a big part of the car and probably worth the extra effort.
You are wrong , you will see it!!!!!:angry

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
I finally checked out this site but they want the parts in person to give a quote. Too much of a gamble for me.

Bob....I have used Performance Plating for 25 years. I'm sure I gave Paul their name. I've trusted them with all my chrome all this time. Potmetal is tough to quote because of the lack of pits...or too many pits...which is the pits!!!!
Send me your vent window frames. I will take them down to Buck, have him look at them...see if I can get any better price (normally I don't ask because I feel that I've always gotten their best price), and I will get back with you. It's a family business...Dad, Mom and son and now maybe a helper. I feel I know Buck very well....he's told me about what EPA and every agency is doing to him on disposal costs...it's prohibitive!!
Hope this helps.
Phil

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
I have gone to car show's and i see nice car's and walk up to some of them and i see crap like pitted pot metal and bubbling window's and look down the window cavity's and see dirt and grime in there, crappy molding's . :dunno:dunno Why??????

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Yeah but I have a bad memory, I'd forget they are repro within no time. :laugh3 :tongue
No i am saying if you did not intend to replace at all ,leave bad pot metal on there. Not bad mouthing repro stuff, some of that stuff look's good, which i have purchased also ,like the front window assembly's, i was very happy with them ,other than switching the sloppy roller channel.

Last edited:

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
All pot metal will have pits. You can take a pristine, new piece, strip it and there will be numerous pits. Costly, time consuming process to make it perfect. Some shops don't care what the finished piece looks like, some think they deserve the wages of a brain surgeon. Finding that one in the middle is the difficult part.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
This is much like the redline tire discussion, $1200 for a set of redlines or $300 for blackwalls, what ever you can afford.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
All pot metal will have pits. You can take a pristine, new piece, strip it and there will be numerous pits. Costly, time consuming process to make it perfect. Some shops don't care what the finished piece looks like, some think they deserve the wages of a brain surgeon. Finding that one in the middle is the difficult part.
You are absolutely correct Mike!!!!!

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
She wouldn't listen Mike,it came from a man,and to hear women tell it,we all stick together!:dunno

bobs409

Administrator
Bob....I have used Performance Plating for 25 years. I'm sure I gave Paul their name. I've trusted them with all my chrome all this time. Potmetal is tough to quote because of the lack of pits...or too many pits...which is the pits!!!!
Send me your vent window frames. I will take them down to Buck, have him look at them...see if I can get any better price (normally I don't ask because I feel that I've always gotten their best price), and I will get back with you. It's a family business...Dad, Mom and son and now maybe a helper. I feel I know Buck very well....he's told me about what EPA and every agency is doing to him on disposal costs...it's prohibitive!!
Hope this helps.
Phil

Ok Phil, I'll take you up on that since your a man of the world. :D Thanks for the help. :) I'll get these Fedex'ed to you in a day or two. I'm just looking for a stock quality appearance so nothing too fancy.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Got the vent windows today. Haven't had time to open them up. Will get them down to Performance Plating first of next week. Did I mention there will be a "Shipping and Fondling charge"??????