0W30 oil.

poison ivy

Well Known Member
could undue pressure created by the dist hold down clamp,on a dist with decked or altered manifold,heads, press on cam gear and wear, check and shim dist to correct?

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Hell,Ray,just paint it to match the timing cover and put it back in place.After all how many "tech guys" today at the tracks you go to even know what a 409 is supposed to look like??????:crazy:dunno

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Ok, here's an update, really more of a question. I have the Edelbrock aluminum water pump. As many have discussed before, the older model of the pump has a bolt head that will make contact with the stock timing cover, really tight. My question is, since this bolt head is pushed up against the cover, and it looks like its in about the right place, wouldn't that keep the cover from flexing? From where I'm standing I'm going to say yes. I may be good to go here?

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The button hits the cover dead center of that little circular spot in the middle of the three recesses in the cover. I had the first design edelbrock too and the bolt hit the cover enough that the pump rocked on the cover and could not bolt it up. I though mine hit on the outer edge of the cover but I could be wrong on that. You really need to pull the intake and measure what the end play is with the pump bolted on with gaskets at the same torque as you would final install. The end play should only be .005 - .010. Anything else is just guessing and it's not likely you or anybody for that matter can guess right. It sucks but it's the only way to completely eliminate cam end play as a problem.