Its alive; finally

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Make sure to add ZDDP to the oil or use one with a lot in it and don't let it idle for too long if using a flat tappet cam on low idle. Need to keep oil splashing that camshaft at all times. Great job getting it running. Now the fun starts

Just a quick follow up question. The cam is broke in and I could start this motor every day and listen to it. Are you suggesting this wouldn't be a good thing to do?? I don't want to damage anything. Thanks, Carmine.

our1962

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
You can start it everyday, but you want to run it down the road, idling any motor and not pushing that carbon through it is bad and this 09 wants to roar not idle. Your going too get all kinds of opinons on zinc additives, I use comp cams additive, purchased at any high performance automotive store.

A nice video hearing her roar for the first time would be a nice post. Also buy yesterdays newspaper, write the miles down on the Impala and take a photo of it sitting on the 09 for your future reference and smiley day!!!!!!!!!!

CONGRATULATIONS:applHappy Motoring Ted :cheers

Last edited:

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Starting any older engine abc not driving it is bad news. Gotta get everything nice and hot, keep that carbon out of it and circulate all the fluids. I don't start mine unless I intend to drive. Plenty of requests to start it at a car show and rev it up... No thanks.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Starting any older engine abc not driving it is bad news. Gotta get everything nice and hot, keep that carbon out of it and circulate all the fluids. I don't start mine unless I intend to drive. Plenty of requests to start it at a car show and rev it up... No thanks.

This is true, especially for a carbureted engine. When you start it and rev it all you're doing is washing the rings with gasoline. This is one of the reasons carb engines don't last as long as a fuel injected one, too much gas in the cylinder which breaks down the oil on the cylinder walls.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Some good advice. Guess I won't be starting it as much as I thought I would. I do want to start it again just to make sure I wasn't dreaming. Most of the snow is gone in my area except in front of the garage. Figures. I have a few minor things to do and I'm thinking after Easter I should be good to go down the road, Carmine.

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
I saw,in your post that most of the snow was gone in front of your garage. Where do you live? For some reason I thought you were in Florida

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I saw,in your post that most of the snow was gone in front of your garage. Where do you live? For some reason I thought you were in Florida
No, not Florida. I'd love to be a snowbird and go there in the Winter, but my wife is still working. She has a few years left to go. I live in NY about 65 miles northwest of NYC, in Orange County. I can make the George Washington Bridge in about 75 minutes. Lived here my entire life. I wouldn't mind relocating some place down South (the Carolinas??), but guess I'm too chicken manure. Very expensive to live in NY. So, I stay here and complain, Carmine.