She's gonna be so fine

Mearl

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Well it's home, NO DYNO, I got a call last Thursday from the machine shop telling me the engine was finished, I'm thrilled to death that it is finished and home but nothing went like I thought it would on this engine, I don't know if there is somewhere I can take it closer to home to get it dyno'd or not I'll keep ya'll posted
Martin,
Bring it up here and we'll find something to bolt it into and give it a good dyno test; I'll even buy the beer.

Bub6le 2op

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Sounds good Mearl.................but.......I think i'll try to get it into my 62 and see what happens, I really wanted to see some numbers tho, I was suppose to be there when it all happened but I was told they ran the engine without the inner valve springs for 45 minutes at 2500 RPM, then installed the inner valve springs and fixed a couple of leaks then ran it at 1500 RPM's for another 45 minutes, said it sounded great and had good response, I still would have loved to at least heard it. I have had the flu for about the last 2 weeks, so I'm just now getting back out. Honestly I will try and find another shop closer before I do another one.

Bub6le 2op

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Martin,
Why didn't they Dyno it? The nice thing about putting it on the Dyno is you can tune, break in cam and fix any issues/leaks easily...:dunno
Hey Dan, I really don't know why............. I bought 2 sets of headers just so they could, but for some reason they just didn't
Jack said something about the engine not being able to hook up to their dyno, if that makes sense, I was in the bed sick when he called and I just said the Hell with it I really just wanted it home and now I have the control so. I'll get a game plan and figure out the next step............it is pretty tho.

Bub6le 2op

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
:tongueJust pulled the 327 out and now the engine department is empty.............plan is to prep the engine department tomorrow and drop the 409 in.................... hopefully Sunday..........but we'll see........its been a long time comin........I've got a lot of work to do engine department.jpg

Finally gonna happen.............

Bub6le 2op

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Painting under the hood .......letting some things dry and repairing a few things, this is the first time I've really messed with the car, and have found some little things that need attended to, but I was expecting that, you guys remember this ain't no show car so be nice......:showergotta go................:wax

Bub6le 2op

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Ok..........I need the center section grill support.........and the fan shroud I have is......... I'm thinking a 4 ring, I don't think it will work with the 409, but it might I've heard about the fan shrouds but don't know a lot about them, so here we go guys what do I need and who has one, thanks in advance.....oh ya, what is the factory color code for the valve covers 1962 the only thing I can find is silver

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
The '62 W engine fan shroud is 1 1/2" shorter in dept than the small block shroud. The '59 to '61 small block shroud can be shortened to look similar and function like '59 to '63 W engine shroud. The correct paint color for the '62 valve covers is silver/gold metallic.I am including a photo of the correct valve cover color and fan shroud look. ShowCars sells the correct paint. http://www.show-cars.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=6645 DSC01178.JPG

Bub6le 2op

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Thanks, that is an engine compartment to be proud of, I will order the paint in the morning, and see about the fan shroud after the engine is in. thanks again........update the black has been painted and have to do some touch up then we'll drop the engine in.........realistically looks like wed. there are a few things I want to change while the engine is out.....

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Hey Martin, I got 2 of the 3 pictures you sent me about 30 minutes ago. Looks like you sent them a little after 5, but I had no reception earlier. Whatever the first one is will not receive. Man your car looks amazing. Just a few more days and you'll be roasting the tires with 409 POWER!!! Ain't that cool???

What are you asking about valve cover paint for? Are you changing the look of your new engine already?

Bub6le 2op

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Thanks Dan, getting ready to start again, Hey Jason, the valve covers aren't getting changed but I've got an idea that I hope will turn out and be nice if not I've just ruined a 300.00 pair of valve covers, :wax....:weld......:waxlook out

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Nahhh......no chance of you ruining them. If they don't turn out like you want them to you could always grind all the fins off of them and make them look all smoothie like the ones that Brian did.

Bub6le 2op

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Man am I slow.............dropped the car off at the shop today, I think models posted .........3 inch pipes to the mufflers and the block huggers will make descent horsepower,...............my guy said the same thing so to start with that's what we are going to do................... then later...............after the HOT ROD REUNION
we will build a set stainless full length headers for it, I'll try and post some pictures, I' m sure some will be disappointed as I painted my firewall black , ya ....I .....me.........not a painter,.........painted it........... got tired of waiting for the guy that CAN paint to paint it so I painted it, Looks good but it is black, spray can black ...........:cry1 semi gloss...........still looks good but if I ever have the car redone it will go the original color. any way I apologize to the group

Martin

Bub6le 2op

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
That is the plan, and the guy that's helpin me, will be there with me, I think he is as excited as I am, I just got back from his shop, and my car is center of it all,......................bad thing is you can't sneek and do anything, car hadn't been there 10 minutes and already drew a croud, Billy said we're gonna have ta hurry and shut the doors to the shop and run people out just to get things done................man I love these ole cars.......:dance:dance:dance