ThumperNZ says Hi

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
See how many neighbors and new friends you've made already!

There was an "FH" block on Ebay recently, but I don't think I was tracking it. Perhaps some one else was.

They are out there. It is also possible to locate the main castings (block, heads, intake/carbs) separately, but that takes a bit of hunting about and luck:).

I was able to locate a "G 16 60" block and some matching 1147 heads and period correct 3x2 intake, but it took a few years. The Belair they are destined for was an early 1960 built 1961 Sport Coupe, so the castings are representative of that period.

In your case it's probably best to find someone who has a reasonably complete setup. You will find that if you purchase the major items separately you'll end up paying more and possibly incurring higher shipping costs. If it's possible to get the cost to ship to NZ any higher :) :) :).

Cheers!
TomK

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
If not trying to go totally matching etc why not just try a 305 HP 61 348 with the 1147 heads and buy a tripower intake and Carbs for it??
To be perfectly frank 95% of the people over here in NZ looking under the hood at a "W" think its a 409........
Also not many over here would even think to look at casting or specific designation numbers

Just my opinion

Steve

61BUBBLE348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Welcome to an informative site, photos would be great, Dan's '61 is a very nice example and a stout engine.

ThumperNZ

Well Known Member
I'm up that way around mid May with probably flying in to New Plymouth on a Sunday arvo and at this point May 17th. If you are up for a meeting PM me your details and we'll see what can be sorted.

Gav
Hi Gav
We'll be away in Hamilton until about mid pm, what I could do is get the owners of the '61 to meet with you, or if convenient, I could meet up later that day.
Cheers, Rod.

nomad59NZ

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Hi Gav
We'll be away in Hamilton until about mid pm, what I could do is get the owners of the '61 to meet with you, or if convenient, I could meet up later that day.
Cheers, Rod.
Hey Rod,
So I now fly in to NP on Monday 18th and arrive in around 10am. Are you far from the airport! I am heading straight to Hawera but if you are on the way i could stop by to say hey.
Send me a PM with your phone # and or address and I'll see if we can Tee something up.

Gav

ThumperNZ

Well Known Member
Hey Rod,
So I now fly in to NP on Monday 18th and arrive in around 10am. Are you far from the airport! I am heading straight to Hawera but if you are on the way i could stop by to say hey.
Send me a PM with your phone # and or address and I'll see if we can Tee something up.

Gav
Hi Gav
That suits fine, I work from home, I'll PM you with our address. We're only about 5km from the Airport, and there is a way you can continue south easily from our address.

nomad59NZ

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Hi Gav
That suits fine, I work from home, I'll PM you with our address. We're only about 5km from the Airport, and there is a way you can continue south easily from our address.
Meet up with Rod today, very nice gentlemen. Has a couple of very nice 57 belairs and a really nice restored one.
Also met with his friends Anneilese & Mark who own the 61 bubble in the above pictures. very nice couple and she does have her heart set on a 348 tri-power, so if anyone us pondering on selling a nice unit then please let Rod or myself know.

C U
Gav

ThumperNZ

Well Known Member
Meet up with Rod today, very nice gentlemen. Has a couple of very nice 57 belairs and a really nice restored one.
Also met with his friends Anneilese & Mark who own the 61 bubble in the above pictures. very nice couple and she does have her heart set on a 348 tri-power, so if anyone us pondering on selling a nice unit then please let Rod or myself know.

C U
Gav
It's great to meet up with the members and build links and swap contact info etc. It was good of you, Gav to stop by, I know you had to travel up from Hawera, so it was appreciated by myself, Anneliese & Mark. Looking forward to more info re 348 TriPower availability. What we are looking for, is something complete but not interfered with. Because we are in NZ, we find it tough to find individual parts, that may be missing. I experienced that problem with my own '57 283 2x4BC engine.