Almost A Range Record

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
View attachment 35344 I went to a shooting match in St Louis last weekend and shot this 5 shot group on the top target. The bottom bullet hole is a fouling shot on the sighter target and does not count. Compare the single hole to the group! :winner:winnerThis range has had thousands of groups shot to determine the range records. Usually we shoot Light Varmit and Heavy Varmit, but last weekend we shot Sporter and Heavy Varmit. This group was shot in the Sporter part of the match. It would have easily eclipsed the Light Varmit record of .144 and the Heavy Varmit record of .163 but the record for Sporter is .093 so I wasn't even close. The funny thing is that record was set at the Nationals a few years ago and I watched the guy through a spotting scope set that record when he shot it. Oh, by the was............THE GROUP ABOVE WAS SHOT AT 200 YARDS............

Hi Dave,
Can you please enlighten me on the scoring of such an event
The 0.132 is that just a measurement or does it have a relation to the bull on the target also?
Just wondering thats all

Steve

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Steve

What I shoot is called group shooting. We shoot 5---five shot groups which is called an "aggregate". In a typical "two gun" we usually shoot an aggregate in Light Varmit Class (10.5#max weight of gun) and Heavy Varmit (13.5# max weight of gun)I shoot the 10.5# gun in both classes. We shoot an aggregate at 100 yards for each gun and another aggregate at 200 yards for each gun. So a total of 4 aggregates are shot at a typical two gun weekend event for a total of 100 record shots.

Groups are measured by a magnified lighted reticle to one thousandth. A calculation is made to get to the 4th number .0000(tenth of a thousandth) For instance at 100 yards if your 5 groups for the aggregate measure .181 .195 .223 .250. .295 you add those up to come up with a total of 1.144 divided by the 5 groups and have shot a .2288 aggregate. If they did not go to the 4th number there would be a lot of ties.

When shooting a 5 shot group it can be anywhere on the top target as long as it is inside the thin black square line. The object is to put 5 shots into the same hole, not necessarily to hit the bull. When measuring a group they measure the size of the group from outside to outside and deduct the size of the bullet, .243 in most instances to come up with the size of the group.

Not only do you have to factor in the wind and hold accordingly, you have to keep your gun in tune. A winning bullet seating depth is most always within .002 of optimum. If you are off 2 or 3 thousands from optimum then you are out of tune and will not score well. Also a powder change of .3 of a grain will effect winning accuracy. Usually if you have the correct seating depth it will stay the same all day or even all weekend. The trick is to stay on top of your powder charge, dope the wind and read the wind flags you have out between you and the target, and start your group at the right time. The wind usually has patterns and you try to shoot when the wind is not blowing hard, a tough feat some days. You don't see very many one's such as mine shot at 200 yards at matches. You can get what they call a "screamer patch" for a group smaller than .250@200 yd and .099@100 yds. Last year I shot 2 screamers at 100 yds. One was a .081 and the smallest I have ever shot.

Last edited:

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Steve

What I shoot is called group shooting. We shoot 5---five shot groups which is called an "aggregate". In a typical "two gun" we usually shoot an aggregate in Light Varmit Class (10.5#max weight of gun) and Heavy Varmit (13.5# max weight of gun)I shoot the 10.5# gun in both classes. We shoot an aggregate at 100 yards for each gun and another aggregate at 200 yards for each gun. So a total of 4 aggregates are shot at a typical two gun weekend event for a total of 100 record shots.

Groups are measured by a magnified lighted reticle to one thousandth. A calculation is made to get to the 4th number .0000(tenth of a thousandth) For instance at 100 yards if your 5 groups for the aggregate measure .181 .195 .223 .250. .295 you add those up to come up with a total of 1.144 divided by the 5 groups and have shot a .2288 aggregate. If they did not go to the 4th number there would be a lot of ties.

When shooting a 5 shot group it can be anywhere on the top target as long as it is inside the thin black square line. The object is to put 5 shots into the same hole, not necessarily to hit the bull. When measuring a group they measure the size of the group from outside to outside and deduct the size of the bullet, .243 in most instances to come up with the size of the group.

Not only do you have to factor in the wind and hold accordingly, you have to keep your gun in tune. A winning bullet seating depth is most always within .002 of optimum. If you are off 2 or 3 thousands from optimum then you are out of tune and will not score well. Also a powder change of .3 of a grain will effect winning accuracy. Usually if you have the correct seating depth it will stay the same all day or even all weekend. The trick is to stay on top of your powder charge, dope the wind and read the wind flags you have out between you and the target, and start your group at the right time. The wind usually has patterns and you try to shoot when the wind is not blowing hard, a tough feat some days. You don't see very many one's such as mine shot at 200 yards at matches. You can get what they call a "screamer patch" for a group smaller than .250@200 yd and .099@100 yds. Last year I shot 2 screamers at 100 yds. One was a .081 and the smallest I have ever shot.

Hi Dave,
Thanks for the information
I used to competitive shoot pistols when i was 14-19 years old and remember the clear gauges to see if you cut the line etc
Sold my Sako Tri Ace .32, .22LR and.22Short pistol and all the gear to buy my first house
Just use rifles and chase deer, goats, wallabies, Hares, Rabbits and Possums now, sorry as well as ducks and Quail

Steve