East Coast 348-409 Reunion at Mason-Dixon

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I don't mind them wanting us to all run in one class, it's easier that way.

I know most of the racers have cars that are set up for NSS so they would fit into these rules with no problems but my 55 Chevy and Jim's Pontiac might not.
Our hood scoops might be more than 5" high and Jim's car has dual dominator carbs. We've also got transbrakes in both cars and I think the Pontiac would need a more complete interior.
We don't have a NSS group up in our area so we pretty much built our cars to fit in with the regular nostalgia class rules for our area.

If the majority would like to keep this as more of a 409 powered NSS event, that's very understandable and I'm fine with that. I don't want to be the guy that complained and got the rules changed just to suit me.

Dick MacKenzie

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
One more thing. Bob are leader has a 66 Chevelle 409, I am sure that would be accepted under Modified Production? :rub

I may be mistaken but if I remember correctly Malcolm Durham built a 409 powered 66 or 67 Chenille. How about moving the year to 1970?

I don't mind them wanting us to all run in one class, it's easier that way.

I know most of the racers have cars that are set up for NSS so they would fit into these rules with no problems but my 55 Chevy and Jim's Pontiac might not.
Our hood scoops might be more than 5" high and Jim's car has dual dominator carbs. We've also got transbrakes in both cars and I think the Pontiac would need a more complete interior.
We don't have a NSS group up in our area so we pretty much built our cars to fit in with the regular nostalgia class rules for our area.

If the majority would like to keep this as more of a 409 powered NSS event, that's very understandable and I'm fine with that. I don't want to be the guy that complained and got the rules changed just to suit me.

Keep in mind I pirated these rules from a couple of places. It's obvious I should have read through the outcome after cutting and pasting them together. My intention was to have cars on the track that will look good and impress spectators. Cars that will make the track management want us to return. Both of the cars you guys campaign are certainly prime examples of first class cars and we certainly don't want them excluded by minor editing issues on my part! I have removed the maximum hight requirement on hood scoops, frankly I think my scoop is more then 5". I removed the single Dominator line and the line follow it since I should have cut that out originally. The interior paragraph can be worded to make more sense, the intent is to have good looking cars that don't have holes in the floor or are unsafe.

This is tougher then I originally thought. My original thoughts were to encourage good looking, safe cars that will impress spectators and track management and allow a far playing field for anyone who want to compete regardless of skill level or racing experience. Feed back is why Al and I decided to post our (actually my) thoughts on rules a couple months before the event so we could get everyone's involvement and stimulate discussion. I make changes on my first post about rules in RED.

Last edited:

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I also came across this line that could probably get modified or eliminated...
"Single four barrel manifolds are restricted to cast commercially available 180 degree dual plane intake with no external modifications allowed."
That would technically make an engine with one of Aubrey's intakes illegal.

I get the whole idea of coming up with some rules to prevent anything too weird from showing up, although it's not usually a problem,,, unless somebody decides to drop a 409 into something like this... :doh

z.jpg

Dick MacKenzie

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
I also came across this line that could probably get modified or eliminated...
"Single four barrel manifolds are restricted to cast commercially available 180 degree dual plane intake with no external modifications allowed."
That would technically make an engine with one of Aubrey's intakes illegal. :doh

Holy cow! What DUMBA$$ came up with that? :rub Me??? :facepalm
I can only get on the board using my phone right now. A contractor cut the fiber feeding Internet to my house. Editing the rule post is a pain in the butt on a cell phone. I'll delete that as soon as I get internet back on my laptop.

Dick MacKenzie

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Actually it wasn't the landscaping contractor's fault in my opinion Ray. He was doing some final grading and hit Verizon's fiber less then two inches under the surface. I lay the blame on Verizon's contractor which was Dinella. Entrance fiber is supposed to be 18" below the surface.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
OK....I know I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer,......Butch, Ray.......don't do this!!!!................but why all the rules?????? Is it for the track?? certainly not for our guys to run???? Just dial in and go!!!!! None of this was mentioned for Thompson or Great Bend.

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Actually it wasn't the landscaping contractor's fault in my opinion Ray. He was doing some final grading and hit Verizon's fiber less then two inches under the surface. I lay the blame on Verizon's contractor which was Dinella. Entrance fiber is supposed to be 18" below the surface.

Dick would that be the infamous Daniella Const.? If so I have an outrageous story to tell you but can't be put in print.
Wow you live in a nice area having fiber. Still copper and much DSL installs here.
Robert