62 409 with a powerglide

32chevy348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I went to the Florida Good Guys show and in the car corral was a 1962 Belair 409 with a powerglide, power windows, and power seat ? Could this be right ?

32chevy348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
That's what I thought. It was a 380 and was told it was a special order car ? Thanks for the info.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
"It's the only one built and it was built for Zora Duntov as his daily driver"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sp6t1348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
"It's the only one built and it was built for Zora Duntov as his daily driver"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Never heard that one!!!! Most of the ones I have seen are "transplants" 340 horse 63 motor with hydraulic cam...

sp6t1348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Phil,

My car is completely non-numbers matching; but it does have a real hot 63 409/425:D

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Just something that people put in ads to make their car legit!!!!! Of course it's not true......just like the owner said the 409 and powerglide 62 was original.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Back in 67/68 when I drove my Dad's 60 Impala 250 hp 348 I blew up 3 slip and slides:doh then we converted it to a 3 spd (couldn't afford a 4 speed) That 250/348 was a weak suck, couldn't even break the tires loose, got it to spin a little with revving it in neutral then dropping it in gear. I can only imagine how many trans you would go through with a 409 380/409 with a slip and slide, maybe alum powerglides were better then the cast iron version:dunno Since they made the 340 hp with a alum powerglide in 63 the trans must have been improved. Since then I want nothing to do with 348's or powerglides.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
The aluminum glides were indeed stronger than the cast iron junk,but not by too much.The ones behind the 340 hp 409's were beefed up from the factory with better bands,clutches,better governor calibrations,but not super strong in stock form.What they can be made to do today has made them the most popular automatic transmission in drag racing .

61BUBBLE348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Apart from the added weight of the cast iron glide, they could be made to be pretty tough.

Back in the mid 80's, a guy had a Tractor with 3 blown MKIV 427's attached to a cast iron glide, won his division at the local Tractor Pull.

One positive for us W owners, they have 2 oil pumps, 1 front 1 rear, this allows the car (auto) to be pushed started.

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I started my 59 PG while coasting down a hill, before it became a 4 speed. The cast iron weigh almost as much as a small block.
Don

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The shop my buddy worked at in Washington built a powerglide for a dragster with 1100hp years ago. However you don't get them from the factory that way.