Clutch pedals - - - Clutch Linkage

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
:horse Beating a dead horse hear I know guys, but I promise I did use the search feature and read a LOT of old posts before making this one.

I know that 61 is a one year only set-up......and even though I never read a post saying it was, it seems that 1962 would be a one year only deal too as the '63-64 are certainly different from them.

If I use ALL of the clutch parts from the same model : Can one use 1962 parts in a '61 OR use '61 parts in a '62?? Since the dashes are the same wouldn't it all swap over if kept together as an assembly?

Shake-N-Bake

Well Known Member
I don't know anything about the '62 models but if you have all the parts from a '61 then it should work. At that point the only variable would be the location of the Z Bar bracket on the frame. I would venture to bet the ball stud location on the block would be the same for all W engines so that shouldn't be a factor. I assume you are talking about the 348 clutch linkage parts....even the pedal assembly, correct?

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
May need a steering column (or not) and the whole bracket that holds the clutch and brake pedals and everything down to the clutch fork. Does the 61 have an "over center" spring, the 62 does not.

I think it would work as you said. But if you skip anything, all bets are off.

Don

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I don't know anything about the '62 models but if you have all the parts from a '61 then it should work. At that point the only variable would be the location of the Z Bar bracket on the frame. I would venture to bet the ball stud location on the block would be the same for all W engines so that shouldn't be a factor. I assume you are talking about the 348 clutch linkage parts....even the pedal assembly, correct?
Going to a stick in my 61 BelAir. I MIGHT have a complete set-up from a 61 six cylinder 3 speed car parts car, but there's a chance I robbed them years ago.
I know I have a whole set-up in the 62 which was also a 6 cyl/3 speed to begin with.
I realize I will need a correct Z bar for the 409 either way.

My car had a 4 speed at some point although it was originally a 283/PG. It had an 327/th350 when I first got it, but there was a hole in the floor and a Z bar bracket is welded to the frame. Not sure if it'll be in the right location for the 409 or not, but I'd think it should be since it was used with a V8.

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
May need a steering column (or not) and the whole bracket that holds the clutch and brake pedals and everything down to the clutch fork. Does the 61 have an "over center" spring, the 62 does not.

I think it would work as you said. But if you skip anything, all bets are off.

Don
The 61 has an over-center spring. I saw it in pictures in those other threads I found in the search.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
The 61 under dash bracket is different than the 62 under dash bracket. These brackets support the steering column and the clutch/brake pedal.
The arm on a 62 Clutch pedal (that hits the stop on the under dash brace) will not fit a 61 under dash bracket. If you change to a 62 under dash bracket the 62 linkage will fit.
Attached are 2 pictures of the 61 pedals & a 61 only 007.JPG 010.JPG DSCN7584.JPG DSCN7585.JPG DSCN7586.JPG cross shaft and 3 of 62 pedals with all the right linkage

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I'd seen that first picture before, but the ones with everything laid out will be a great help I'm sure. As long as I swap the whole assembly WITH bracket then I can use whichever one of the 2 years I find. That's what I thought, but wanted to be sure.

Thanks everyone for clearing that up. Paul, all of your parts always look incredible. Thank you so much for the pictures!

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
The correct springs are missing from the 61 pictures
I have extra parts if needed.
Thanks Paul. I hope to have everything, but if not I will let you know. It will probably be a while yet before I get to that point.

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Okay I did some more checking and I definitely have a clutch and brake pedal with bracket assembly from a '62 (6 cylinder car) and I have the pushrod that goes from the pedal to the Z bar.

The Z bar and all the linkage from there back was modified to work with the 427 and exhaust manifolds that we installed way back when so those won't work now. The manifolds were right between the Z bar and the pivot point/ball mount on the side of the block so we cut the Z bar down (a lot.....like maybe 3.5" wide instead of just over 8" originally) and made a support bracket for the inboard side of it. Then we cut/welded other linkage pieces from there back to the fork. Some research shows the fork we used to be from a late 60's to early 70's truck.

So I guess I need everything from the pedal pushrod down starting with the Z bar. :scratch I also guess I need '62 only parts to match up with the '62 pedals/bracket/pedal pushrod. :dunno Or would '61 Z bar and linkage from there back including a '61 fork work ?

This will be going in my '61 behind a 474" W.
TKO 600 five speed, Lakewood scattershield, 168 Tooth flywheel and 11" clutch.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I have both sets 61 and 62 Chevy from the push rod to the bell housing as extras. The clutch forks will work the same on your scattershield.
The cross shaft for a 61 requires a 61 push rod through the firewall. I think that either 61 or 62 corss shafts (with a scattershield) the lower can be threaded (pictures available)
I had to use a threaded rod to clear the flange of the scattershield.

To summarize: I have a 62 set of linkage/62 upper push rod, crosshaft for a 409 and a 61 lower threaded push rod on my Lakewood scattershield on my 409 - the threaded push rod needs to be a specific length to provide adjustment -I can provide this threaded rod-it needs a round pin in the clutch fork. I also have a 11" centerforce dual friction clutch and pressure plate plus a new steel flywheel 454 type for the external balanced 482 -409 stroker motor on my 62.

Paul

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
Okay I did some more checking and I definitely have a clutch and brake pedal with bracket assembly from a '62 (6 cylinder car) and I have the pushrod that goes from the pedal to the Z bar.

The Z bar and all the linkage from there back was modified to work with the 427 and exhaust manifolds that we installed way back when so those won't work now. The manifolds were right between the Z bar and the pivot too nt/ball mount on the side of the block so we cut the Z bar down (a lot.....like maybe 3.5" wide instead of just over 8" originally) and made a support bracket for the inboard side of it. Then we cut/welded other linkage pieces from there back to the fork. Some research shows the fork we used to be from a late 60's to early 70's truck.

So I guess I nLakewood. ything from the pedal pushrod down starting with the Z bar. :scratch I also guess I need '62 only parts to match up with the '62 pedals/bracket/pedal pushrod. :dunno Or would '61 Z bar and linkage from there back including a '61 fork work ?

This will be going in my '61 behind a 474" W.
TKO 600 five speed, Lakewood scattershield, 168 Tooth flywheel and 11" clutch.

My 4 speed,dual quad positraction 409.........or my 474 W,tko 600 five speed,lakewood.......eh.......no,I guess the original songs a hit,but yours ain't bad either Jason.

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I have both sets 61 and 62 Chevy from the push rod to the bell housing as extras. The clutch forks will work the same on your scattershield.
The cross shaft for a 61 requires a 61 push rod through the firewall. I think that either 61 or 62 corss shafts (with a scattershield) the lower can be threaded (pictures available)
I had to use a threaded rod to clear the flange of the scattershield.

To summarize: I have a 62 set of linkage/62 upper push rod, crosshaft for a 409 and a 61 lower threaded push rod on my Lakewood scattershield on my 409 - the threaded push rod needs to be a specific length to provide adjustment -I can provide this threaded rod-it needs a round pin in the clutch fork. I also have a 11" centerforce dual friction clutch and pressure plate plus a new steel flywheel 454 type for the external balanced 482 -409 stroker motor on my 62.

Paul
Paul, please forgive me for making you repeat all this over and over, but I'm just trying to make sure I understand it right.

With my pedals/bracket assembly and pushrod through the firewall all being from a '62 (6cyl/3spd) I need to use a '62 409 cross shaft (Z bar). Do I have that part right so far?

Then I need to need a '61 lower threaded pushrod from the Z-bar to the clutch fork to clear the scattershield. ????

I'm still unsure of the clutch fork too. Are you saying they would both work the same with my scattershield so it doesn't matter whether I use the '61 only fork or if I use the '62-63 fork?

I had a couple guys (not 409 or even Impala guys, but long-time chevy 4 speed gurus) tell me that an off the shelf fork like the ones sold by McLeod or Lakewood would work great for me. I don't think that can be right with Chevy making so many different ones over the years, but why do those companies only have a single "universal for chevy" part? :scratch

Thanks for taking the time to help me wrap my mind around all of this and try to come up with the right parts. Since I'll be going with a new motor I would like to avoid any hang-ups with linkage when I get to install time. Maybe I should just start with the old TH400 and then swap to the manual later instead of trying to switch from the bbc/auto to the W/5 spd all at once.

Last edited:

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
[QU'OTE="1961BelAir427, post: 278599, member: 2121"]Hey Keith your tune would be the same except for 476" right?[/QUOTE]

I've never figured that out...........@.040 =476......????

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Jason, You can't change the upper pushrod from 62 to 61 as the pedal assemblies are different as well as the bellcrank. You either have to use all 62 components or all 62 componets.

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Jason, You can't change the upper pushrod from 62 to 61 as the pedal assemblies are different as well as the bellcrank. You either have to use all 62 components or all 62 componets.
Thanks Dan! I know you have a scattershield in your '61 with the Richmond.
If I am understanding Paul's post correctly then I still need to use the threaded pushrod from a '61 from the Z bar to the Fork even if I use all the rest of the parts from a '62 due to clearance around the scattershield. :dunno2

Last edited: