What Made My Back Glass Shatter?

62BillT

Well Known Member
It's only on a parts car, but I got a surprise this morning. The '59 2-Dr Sedan I've had for the past 12 years now has a shatter Back Glass. Seems like it happened in the past 24 hours, but I really can't prove it wasn't a little longer. Now Detective work is one of my hobbies. I checked inside, outside, all around the car and can't find anything. Looks like the point of impact was on the left side a few inches in from the side molding. It now has a hole there and I can see spider-webbing from that point and outwards towards the right side.

It's in a field with trees behind it, but none over it. I'm thinking something mysteriously fell from the sky, but not sure. I'm also thinking possibly a stray bullet, but don't remember any shots fired very recently. There is grass around the car that is getting a little tall now, and whatever hit it could still possible be there, but so far I can't find anything.

...was a pretty nice glass too, lol.

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Sounds like pellet or BB gun to me. I did that to a neighbors car in say,,,,1956 with a BB gun. We lived way out there. Never got caught.

62BillT

Well Known Member
Well, for it to be a BB or Pellet Gun, it would have had to travel a real long distance. My closest (very responsible) neighbor is about 1/4 mile from where the car is at and it probably would have had to fall fairly straight down. How far can those travel?

I have heard a .22 can travel a good distance and that is still possible.

We also have a lot of small planes in the area and one could have dropped a dis-lodged rock ?? If I don't find anything in time, the mystery will continue, lol.

Last edited:

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
22 cal bullet will travel as far as 1 1/4 miles. At 500 yards it will have a 500 ft. Per sec. Velocity. Knock down power for small game is around 140 yds. Max. By then it will have dropped as much as 10 inches below muzzle height. BB guns about 350 ft effectively.

BRYAN FUGATE

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Porcelain from a spark plug will shatter windows like that not a front window though. That's just throwing it by hand

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
I once had a spare back glass out of 63 2 dr ht.I had it stored in the basement of a house for several month"s. I sold it and went to get it to deliver to the guy. I stepped out of the house with the window in my hand and it shattered into a mass of small particle"s.This happened in the summer month"s so maybe the sudden temp change???

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Sounds like pellet or BB gun to me. I did that to a neighbors car in say,,,,1956 with a BB gun. We lived way out there. Never got caught.

Hmm Ray as I recall the statute of limitations have passed for that class of offense so you are likely to never be caught. However property owner suits take some interesting twists in the system. Maybe your old neighbor now wants to collect and attaches your great 409?
Robert