FFDawson checking in from NorCal

ffdawson

Hey all, checking in here for my inaugural post. Proud owner of a 1962 Impala. Crate 350/th350. She's a work in progress, but a runner and a weekly driver. I've owned her about 2 months now, just getting Rollin on my endless list of plans for her. Previously owned a 61 Bel Air Bubbletop Sport coupe.

Stoked to be a member here, looking forward to learning from everyone. Looking at disc brakes, suspension and steering as my first upgrades.

-FFDawson

Here she is in all her primer gray glory!image.jpgimage.jpg

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Nice looking ride,
ask as many questions as you like
there is a wealth of knowledge on this site
have a great time

Steve

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
Welcome aboard, nice Impala!

Got any pictures of that 1961 BA sport coupe you owned previously?

Thinking of stuffing a "W" under the hood of that '62 in the future?

Thanks for sharing the pics, now we need a story to go with them :).

Cheers!
TomK

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
:welcome2 In my opinion, the stance and wheels of your '62 are already just right. Great looking car. I'm with TomK on wanting to also see some pictures of your old 61. Looking forward to following your '62 build as well.

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
:welcome2Welcome to the site:clap:appl. Great group here :hugand lots of info on the "W" engine. Get in , strap yourself down , keep your arms inside and HOLD ON ! Enjoy the ride !
:crazy:cheers

ffdawson

Thanks for warm welcome everyone!
I, too like the stance, wheels and tire setup. Theyre 14's in front, 15 in back. I don't want to go much bigger but I'm hoping to put some larger disc brakes under there so I might have to.

As far as getting a w motor in there, I have dreams of a 409/4speed. However since the 350/350 runs and drives, I think I'll do the rest of the work first, and later on down the road switch up the drivetrain. Plus I'm not sure how sacreligious it is to put a 409 in a non 409 car, or swap a stick into a formerly auto car. Looking here for motivation to "do the right thing" ;)

Tom, pics of the ol 61 are below. She was a project, to say the least. I pulled her out of the backwoods in mendocino county where she'd been sitting for 10 years. Floors and quarters, trunk were all rusted through. 235 straight 6 was seized, her original blue paint was (partially) rattle canned over in black. I got it for the cost of a 6 pack of beer to my buddy for helping me drag it outta the woods. After gutting it and starting the rust removal I realized how in over my head I was. Having just bought a house, with a little one on the way I sadly had to let her go. Had my eye out ever since for another. The '62 popped up a few months ago and the price was right, so i jumped on it.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Nothing sacrilege with adding a peddle and a wiggle stick

Have a 61 myself, but would hate to buy beer if my cost was equivalent to a six pack

Steve

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Looks like you are a lot of money ahead with your '62 being so nice, but as I'm partial to a '61 Bel Air you and your buddy could have had a great beer fund for quite awhile. :D

ffdawson

^yeah I miss that 61. I love the rear end on those, the way the trim dips to a "V" in the center. And all that glass... Oh well. She's probably in a better place. It would have taken me 10 years + before I had that thing on the road.

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
Thanks for warm welcome everyone!
I, too like the stance, wheels and tire setup. Theyre 14's in front, 15 in back. I don't want to go much bigger but I'm hoping to put some larger disc brakes under there so I might have to.

As far as getting a w motor in there, I have dreams of a 409/4speed. However since the 350/350 runs and drives, I think I'll do the rest of the work first, and later on down the road switch up the drivetrain. Plus I'm not sure how sacreligious it is to put a 409 in a non 409 car, or swap a stick into a formerly auto car. Looking here for motivation to "do the right thing" ;)

Tom, pics of the ol 61 are below. She was a project, to say the least. I pulled her out of the backwoods in mendocino county where she'd been sitting for 10 years. Floors and quarters, trunk were all rusted through. 235 straight 6 was seized, her original blue paint was (partially) rattle canned over in black. I got it for the cost of a 6 pack of beer to my buddy for helping me drag it outta the woods. After gutting it and starting the rust removal I realized how in over my head I was. Having just bought a house, with a little one on the way I sadly had to let her go. Had my eye out ever since for another. The '62 popped up a few months ago and the price was right, so i jumped on it.

View attachment 36260 View attachment 36261 View attachment 36262
This is how my son's 61 Bubble started out. A huge WORK IN PROGRESS !!!PictureKodak easy share photos 1005.jpgWas a 283 with a glyde and dual exhaust. Now getting a 348 "W' with a 700R4.So much to do , so little time .PictureKodak easy share photos 1005.jpg:crazy:cheers

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Welcome to the site. Primer is ok too.Have a 66chevy pickup with primer here and there and every body ask"s when ya gonna paint it????