1962 Bel Air Bubble Top 409 Project

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Cash , the upper bearing is different and i don't know if available separately or is part of turn signal switch. Maybe a 62 owner know's more on that . The lower you picture goes in that round retainer with the bolt's on it then the spring put's tension on it to center squeeze tight on shaft. D oes this make sense????Oh , sometime's the shaft get's groove wore in from old bearing digging in and the lower bearing will not be tight on shaft so you have to inspect shaft for that wear and if so either build back up or replace shaft.

Last edited:

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
WOW nice pictures, they say it all. I noticed on your E-bay pictures that there was a spring pushing the bearing in, is there a
larger spring coming in from the back side?. This is a big help. thanks again, I'll take some pictures to show you what I have.

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
My memory is not to good so if I posted this before, sorry. Just thought you guys might need a laugh on me. I brought the CASHguzzler home last month , and before I could get to work on it I decided to clean up the garage a little. I have a large built on garage, 3 car, so its pretty big, until you start filling it up with car stuff. I decided to build a couple of shelfs over my bench which I put in 40 years ago, no sense rushing into anything... Here's the before and after pictures of my messy garage.100_2157.JPG

100_2156.JPG

100_2155.JPG

100_2158.JPG

100_2159.JPG100_2157.JPG100_2156.JPG100_2155.JPG100_2158.JPG100_2159.JPG
The picture on the right is of the car bought at the huge auction at the
Chevy Dealer who kept everything. It has only 11 miles on it. Cool huh....
ps. if you're wondering about all the peanut cans, I do have quite a few
squirrels to feed.

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Its amazing how fast you can mess up your work area, but I try to keep things put away, like all Pro's do. You know DonSSDD the nice
thing about cleaning up and putting things away, is it helps you remember where they are.? maybe Looks like we have the same
kind of car, Im about ready to start ours up again, had a few hic-ups the first time around.

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
I do have a question for you guys, how do you know if you've installed your steering box and shafts correctly?. I read there is a
shim you can use on the box itself to straighten the angle, but have not put that on yet. When we first started up the motor a couple
months ago, we had some trouble with gas leaks, and also needle & seats, that fixed they started it up again, and it ran fine for
about 15 - 20 minutes then the bearing on the Idler pulley started blowing out grease, also the lower bearing on the column went
bad. The pulley could have been a misalignment issue with the other pulleys, I did replace that bearing and took more time to
make sure the pulleys all lined up, water pump pulley and crank pulley.

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Its been awhile since last posting any updates, so here goes. We did get the new steering box in and straight, installed the new bearing for the idler pulley. We then tired starting the engine, had some problems, carbs, leaks etc. we have worked through that and now are waiting for a new water pump. I started insulating the interior back seat, then moved to the front seat area. I thought I'd better see if the seat brackets fit first, before lying down the insulation. They did not fit, they had replaced the complete floor, and Im wondering if that is why things are not lining up? Any ideas. Here is the picture of the bracket. thanks cashguzzler 409
100_2217.JPG 100_2213.JPG 100_2214.JPG 100_2218.JPG 100_2209.JPG

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Seat slide lever's should point outside car, Switch side to side. Release the locking lever and slide bracket's to match hole's , I am thinking that is correct .If you look at your other bracket you can see the difference in position of rail.

Last edited:

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Stan what is the distance between the holes in your floor for the seats ? - front to back -center of hole to center of hole.
I will compare them to my 62 Impala Hardtop which are the same since the seat brackets on bench seat are the same.
Paul

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Hi Paul, 9 " center to center. Are the brackets suppose to sit forward to where the feet touch the end of the seat section?.
I was thinking I had the set up wrong after looking at the shop manual, thanks blkblk63ss.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
My original holes are also 9" and the floor in my 62 Impala HT is factory -no floor pan work ever.
I think you need to check your seat brackets against some originals that someone on the forum can check for length between holes
They look funny to me - the arm on them does not look right.

I changed my seats to power seat, I don't remember what I did with my original bench manual seat brackets

Paul

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
blkblk63ss, thanks but no it did not, but thanks for the suggestion. The bottom part with the feet (as I call them) don't move,
its just the seat that moves on the track part. I did look under the floor pan and found two more welded bolt holes, but these
are not drill through, so maybe this is the solution, re-drill these holes and use them. The bracket does fit the seat holes, but im
still not sure if they are the right ones for the car.

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
This is our 1st 62 and when I bought it, it was not together, so its very hard to know where things go, and harder to know if you
have the right parts. Oh.... and memory......"forget about it".
:haha

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Stan....if you drill new holes...make sure there is a plate welded to the underneath side of the floor pan for strength!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
NO...it's not your weight..........it needs to be reinforced to keep the bolt from pulling thru the floor pan in case of an emergency stop!!!!!!!!!!!