"MY" HD dealer and Evel Knievel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
I am sooo proud of my Harley Davidson dealer in Topeka, KS. Yesterday, owner Mike Patterson publicly announced the building of the only permanent Evel Knievel Museum in Topeka. Over the past year, Mike has shared all the items they have collected with Candy and I and I was able to see the restoration in process of the truck that Evel stayed in at his events. When finished, this will be a world class museum!!! The museum will be a 16,000SF addition to the existing building.
Why am I so proud? I started doing business with Mike's grandfather Henry in 1967. Henry bought the dealership in the summer of 1949. The dealership has passed thru Henry to Mike's uncle Dennis and then to Mike....3 generations!! 1967 was also the same year Candy and I were married, so currently 48 years for both!!! I do not wear any other dealer's t-shirts and we now ride or drive 90 miles one way to go see them. It is truly a family!! Some of you know we've ridden the bikes to Alaska. Our Road Captain was Zeke. Zeke was Henry's very first customer on Henry's first day in business.....a brand new 1949 FLH!!
Google Evel Knievel Museum and the new museum is the very first thing that pops up.
The truck and display are leaving tomorrow for a one year tour. First, it's heading for Butte, MT for Evel Knievel days and then on to Sturgis...what else??? It will be displayed at the Buffalo Chip camp ground. Then to Los Angeles for a movie promotion. It may "winter" in the Mac truck museum. So if you get a chance, try to see it. If you think a frame off on one of our cars is difficult.......try a Mac truck and trailer!!!! It's stunning!!!!
And if you are travelling I-70 thru Kansas............stop in Topeka and see this dealership. They already have a museum of probably 40-50 old Harley Davidsons...both restored and originals. And this is the only dealership I know that you can shop for bikes and t-shirts and...have a slab of ribs!! They have an in-house restaurant!! Their restoration shop restored Jerry Lee Lewis' 1957!!! In 1957, Harley Davidson gave one new motorcycle to Elvis and one to Jerry Lee. The restoration was one of the finest I've ever seen!!
Google Evel Knievel and you can see their results!!! At the top left hand of the first article, there is a picture. Click on the photo and there are about 10 pictures of yesterday's event.
Enjoy!!!
http://www.historicharley.com/

Last edited:

Mearl

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
The thing I always thought was so great about Evel was that he did his jumps on a big ol' XR750 Harley. Everyone who came along after him, including his son Robbie, did it on dirt bikes that were made for jumping.

wrench

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
Did you see the American Pickers episode where the girls picked a guys Evil's personal items?

409 lever

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
evel knevel is my life long hero.nice to hear someone is doing a proper memorial for the legend. my knuckles still have scars on them from revving my knievel stunt cycle to the moon before sending it tearing off. I still use the term for doing a boner move on a bike as "pullin a knievel"th.jpg .

No409

Supporting Member 1
Doug Danger is suppost to be doing a jump at sturgis next week, on i believe one of Evils xr750`s. Doug is a local stuntguy about 20 mins from me in Ma

quik9r

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
:winnerI sold the Evel knievel stunt car with instructions, almost like the bike set up above last year at my garage sale. I remember getting it 1975-76?, the women that purchased it, was buying it for her brothers 50 th b-day. Evel was an great guy for kids in the 70's

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
I saw that show. Doesn"t hold a candle to what will be in Topeka. I have seen most of the bikes and other items......it's going to fill a 16,000 square foot building!!! It will be 2 stories with the Mac truck on the lower level. They also have a replica of the Snake River rocket car.

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
:winnerI sold the Evel knievel stunt car with instructions, almost like the bike set up above last year at my garage sale. I remember getting it 1975-76?, the women that purchased it, was buying it for her brothers 50 th b-day. Evel was an great guy for kids in the 70's
I have (somewhere) a car that I thought was an Evel stunt car since it goes on the same stand / hand crank for revving it up, but it is a funny car. I remember the blower would come off the engine and is long lost....the rest is probably in very worn shape, but it is around somewhere. A hand-me-down from my brother. :cool:
Back in the late 90's or so, a company re-released the stunt cycle and I bought one for my oldest son. I haven't seen it around in years, but it's probably here too.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
THE MUSEUM IS OPEN!!!!!! The soft opening was last Sat. It will be officially opened on June 30!!!
Mike and his staff have done a WONDERFUL job!!!!!
Here is a TV video from last week. Make plans....YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.wibw.com/content/news/In...opekas-new-Evel-Knievel-Museum-420434773.html

Click on the middle window titled Inside Evel Knivel museum. It didn't come thru right.

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Cant do that Phil,
Dave's bringing me gifts (hopefully) i have got to pay for them when they get here though:doh
Have to get you and Candy over to this side of the planet
Working on a transporter beam system similar to star trek but cant find any one called Montgomery Scott
You may be able to help there being from Montgomery Alabama your self, you might be related:laugh
Promise no more earth quakes

Steve

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Steve

Is that road open that the quake closed?

Could get it open quicker if you bring a digger with you:crazy
We are using teaspoons to clear up a road

You can get from here to Kaikoura ok but the road north of Kaikoura is still closed as is our main trunk rail way from the north to the south
Worth going to have a look at the area but if you didnt know it before it will be difficult to note the change
You will be able to drive from Nelson where your shoot is down to Christchurch in about 6-7 hours
have many ways to get from north to south

Not a big place over here but heaps to see in a short time

Steve