Muncie Lockup

chuckl

Well Known Member
Occasionally, my M-21 Muncie will lock up in neutral and will not go into any gear. It usually happens at slow speed (or stopped), in parking lots, etc. Plus, I think it has a bit more of a whine now. It only has 350 miles on it since rebuild. It is Supercased and almost everything inside is new, including syncros (brass). The aligning slot/pin is right on. It was a bit stiff after overhaul, but seemed to work itself out to shift smooth. No leaks and no problems until the last couple of runs of 25-35 miles. I am using synthetic gear oil. Is the synthetic oil affecting the syncros? Any thoughts? :dunno2

chuckl

Well Known Member
Occasionally, my M-21 Muncie will lock up in neutral and will not go into any gear. It usually happens at slow speed (or stopped), in parking lots, etc. Plus, I think it has a bit more of a whine now. It only has 350 miles on it since rebuild. It is Supercased and almost everything inside is new, including syncros (brass). The aligning slot/pin is right on. It was a bit stiff after overhaul, but seemed to work itself out to shift smooth. No leaks and no problems until the last couple of runs of 25-35 miles. I am using synthetic gear oil. Is the synthetic oil affecting the syncros? Any thoughts? :dunno2
Oops, wrong forum!!

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
My M-20 jumped out of 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear with synthetic oil in it.:doh Take the side cover off, and make sure the springs are still on the levers. :dunno

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I have limited experience with building 4 speeds. I have torn many down, and at the time, watched and assisted building a few. The thing I always found funny was when the builder would tell the customer that it was tight, and would need some brake in, to go drive it for some time. Being that I had little experience building 4 speeds at the time ( mostly I did automatics ) I always just said nothing because I didn't own the business, and wasn't the senior or main builder. However I always wondered about the so called need for break in time because it would be tight and hard shifting. Especially when I worked with others that when built they worked fine. I guess I am just curious of others experiences after rebuilding 4 speeds, or any of the older standards. I guess I am just always concerned about "parts changers" as opposed to builders.

63impalass409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I have built many muncies and never had one that was tight and needed to be broken in like described and if built right it should ingage smoothly and easy.