63 Impala project continues...

bobs409

Administrator
I like the sound of that! I'm gonna just take my time and have fun. Decided not to try and get it done before summer ends. Too much to do and I want to get it right.

bobs409

Administrator
Just un-taped it and cleaned up. I like un-taping cars. The rest, not so much. :D Love that smell of fresh paint! Wish it wasn't going to be 90 degrees today though. :(

bobs409

Administrator
Another installment:

Was a good day in Impala land. :D Hot as hell but I got the trunk spatter painted and the new mats laid out. (some settling to occur) Gave the engine and forward parts a sponge bath to remove some sanding dust. (I wish engines would stay looking this good!)

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg 8.jpg

Continued below:

bobs409

Administrator
Got the sound deadner installed in the interior. I also installed those shiny quarter windows that Phil had done for me. (installing those was a bit tricky, thank goodness for the shop manual) I even wet sanded a quarter panel so will do some buffing tomorrow to see the final results.

As soon as the quarters and roof are buffed out, I will move this around to the front garage. It's a lot cooler in the main garage as it's insulated.

9.jpg 10.jpg 11.jpg 12.jpg 13.jpg 14.jpg

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
Bob......DO NOT leave the trunk mats in your car. They are vinyl or something like that and hold moisture like you wouldn't believe!!!! They can have your trunk floor rusty almost immediately. Use them for car shows only.
Phil, I think Jason, had the same problem, in his 64 Biscayne, a couple years ago.:doh

bobs409

Administrator
Hmmm, I was hoping the mats wouldn't be a problem as I sprayed the trunk with gray primer/sealer first. Maybe a good coat of clear under the mats??? I want to keep them! :gaah

Sure did!!!! Throw those mats in the garbage! What paint did you use for the spatter paint?
I started off with some Plasti coat I had but that stuff is like water! Got some Dupli color from autozone and it worked much better. 2-1/2 cans did it. Glad I had gray primer to start or it would have taken 12 cans to cover! :irk

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Hmmm, I was hoping the mats wouldn't be a problem as I sprayed the trunk with gray primer/sealer first. Maybe a good coat of clear under the mats??? I want to keep them! :gaah

I started off with some Plasti coat I had but that stuff is like water! Got some Dupli color from autozone and it worked much better. 2-1/2 cans did it. Glad I had gray primer to start or it would have taken 12 cans to cover! :irk
I took the mats out of my Impala because as Phil says they held in moisture and I don't know what material was used on that trunk. On my Bel Air I used a petroleam base material that does not require a clear coat like the water base Zoletone. I also chose not to use the mats but have white towels in place of the mats with no issues.