Back into drag boats

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
I have enjoyed offshore boats for many years. I can appreciate our member who crewed on a new Skater canopy boat but I always liked the classic Don Arronow 24-25 degree deep vee hulls. Here are a few photos. Some I owned some I was involved with and some a spectator. I had a great photo of Betty Cook's famous Kaama boat but can't find it!
Robert

W Head

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
Well new boat, test and tune Friday. My son Casey has not made a run in the new boat.(zero seat time) 1st run just to get the feel of the boat(are running 10:00 sec. class )(13:24 ET) (ME), Second run 9:61"-he said why did I ever run outboards" (got a woody)(too fast). Lower the RMP by 200 with a changed chip. 3rd run 9:93(too fast), put in a chip that droped another 100 RPM. Should be very close to 10:00 ET. Next run didnot check the air bottle, would not shift (air has to be around 180 PSI). Hey, this is a whole new gig for us. Had this boat for 10 days and no seat and Casey runs a 9:61.:winner After this everything goes to S--t.:dunno2 Qualifing out of the hole , falls on its face, would not stay in gear. checked everything, 2nd qualify run same thing. we replaced the MSD part that delays until 3000 RPMs out of the hole and replaced all the crimp conectors and check all grounds. Everything worked on the trailer in the pits. Got to eleminations and the wet clutch or the Linco let go. But this was a learning race, never have raced this type of dragboat before. But we had a good time, except we lost a driver. 180 MPH boat got loose and he lost it and was gone when they got him up. (RIP) We had not raced since 2011 so we didnot know this person. You know we began in River Racer Class (12:00 sec, class)several years ago in Caseys bass boat (out board) and now we are running a 510 in. BB on Alky. The attached picture is Caseys 9:61 run out of the hole, could some one please flip the pic around, I can't get it to work. (computer dummy)

W Head

59 Impala 409-2,4s

Attachments

• Image (3).jpg
    Image (3).jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 6

W Head

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
Wayne the boat looks good. Does everyone run 2 spds now. What RPM at the finish line. And Happy Birthday. BT

Not running a 2-speed-it is a Lenco single with a MSD delay set at 3000 RPM out of the hole with a wet clutch (controled by a air bottle) You flip a switch to arm the delay at 3000 RPM and then push the air button to engage the trans and clutch when you want to go. Some Higher horse power boats are running 2 speeds. We were turning just under 7000 RPMs on the 9:61 run - put in a lower RPM chip to take out 200 RPM and ran a 9:93. Then began having problems. We will get it worked out-time and money, just like 348/409 restorations!!

W Head

59 Impala 409-2,4s

W Head

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
thanks Dick, computer dummy, didnot know how to do this-many things I don't know how to do on a computer. Need a Big Chief and a #2 yellow penci.

W Head

1959 Impala 409-2,4sl