AIR CLEANER WING NUTS

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I remember reading a previous thread about air cleaners and the way to secure a dual quad air cleaner without the possibility of something loosening and falling into the engine. Recently I came across these wing nuts sold under the HELP! line. They have a wide flat base with a notch to prevent loosening. They are large enough that they would not be sucked into the engine. Once they are hand tightened, that notch really does a great job at preventing them from loosening. Sorry, I didn't get the part number off of the package. I could get if needed.100_2857.JPG

63impalass409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I put a dab of silicone on my threads and so far so good. Maybe I shouldn't have said that because now its going to bite me in the ass.

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
I remember reading a previous thread about air cleaners and the way to secure a dual quad air cleaner without the possibility of something loosening and falling into the engine. Recently I came across these wing nuts sold under the HELP! line. They have a wide flat base with a notch to prevent loosening. They are large enough that they would not be sucked into the engine. Once they are hand tightened, that notch really does a great job at preventing them from loosening. Sorry, I didn't get the part number off of the package. I could get if needed.View attachment 37758

This the wing nut used by the 61 thru 64 Fords with the 3x2 and 2x4 aluminum air cleaners. They are available thru the Ford vendors.

jwhotrod

Supporting Member 1
I would be just as concerned about water getting past that wingnut or any nut that secures a air cleaner cover,
I've seen 3 cars hydrolock from water getting past that nut. Whatever you do, place a flat rubber washer under the nut which will seal and also help keep it from unthreading.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I would be just as concerned about water getting past that wingnut or any nut that secures a air cleaner cover,
I've seen 3 cars hydrolock from water getting past that nut. Whatever you do, place a flat rubber washer under the nut which will seal and also help keep it from unthreading.

How are you getting water up there? Open highboy?

buildit

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
I once built a BBC for a four wheel drive truck. The owner installed it himself and used a short piece of allthread and a nut and lockwasher to attach the air cleaner. After a couple of thousand miles, the allthread broke off where it threaded into the carb. The upper piece vibrated out of the nut and was swallowed by the #7 cylinder, where it knocked a hole in the head and split the cylinder. This highlights the importance of using the factory type stud with the flange that bottoms on the carb, if it's available. But I now always use a nylock nut on top of the air cleaner on my own engines.

jwhotrod

Supporting Member 1
no the most dramatic was a 40 Ford coupe with a full hood (louvered)and water ran in and sat in the depression around the nut on a 14" aftermarket air cleaner. since there was no rubber washer under the nut all thar water ran down thru the carb. The guy didn't know it, next morning went out tried to start it and bent 2rods when it hydrolocked.