62 Belair from the Meltdown

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
The one wheel peel ain't good, and you should be boiling one tire on the launch too. Seems to come out a little soft. Just an observation, not criticism.:cheers

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Posi is stronger than the open. Brace the axle tubes and you probably won't have a problem.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
We did remove the previous 409 engine (now in the hands of another member here) and the posi unit when James prepped her for Great Bend. That 3.36 posi unit will live again in my convertible project :). James "modified" the pegleg from my 1961 Belair for a temporary setup. Plans are to test drive train components this year and then look into rear end options over the Winter months. Right now we are leaning towards the Ford 9" option.

We plan to take her out again in September 11th at the Byron Dragstrip :).

Cheers!
TomK

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Well,,, when Jim Comeau and I went to the first big convention in 2004, I talked him into letting me try running his 62 Impala convertible down the track a few times.
The car had the stock posi rear end, street tires and a four speed. The engine was a 476 ci stroker.

Anyway, I managed to make about a half a dozen passes before this happened....
z.jpg

One axle sheared right off and the other was on the verge of letting go.

An automatic transmission is a lot easier on driveline but I'm guessing that sooner or later the stock driveline is going to be a problem for you guys. :(

On a happier note,,, it sounds like you guys are getting that car dialed in. :beer
I hope you continue to make progress. I guess 12.50's will be the next goal. :beer

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Well,,, when Jim Comeau and I went to the first big convention in 2004, I talked him into letting me try running his 62 Impala convertible down the track a few times.
The car had the stock posi rear end, street tires and a four speed. The engine was a 476 ci stroker.

Anyway, I managed to make about a half a dozen passes before this happened....
View attachment 38570

One axle sheared right off and the other was on the verge of letting go.

An automatic transmission is a lot easier on driveline but I'm guessing that sooner or later the stock driveline is going to be a problem for you guys. :(

On a happier note,,, it sounds like you guys are getting that car dialed in. :beer
I hope you continue to make progress. I guess 12.50's will be the next goal. :beer

And Phil happened to have a spare set and Jim and Jim changed them out in the show car parking lot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rickys61

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
So what is the life span of the axles if one was to stay with the stock rear end?
F84E99D2-90A0-4A63-8AF2-10B628A7E526.jpg

B781F551-0139-47AB-9CAE-B9CF3A983D3D.jpg

James... These were new Moser 17 spline axles... I did this with my baby W motor on slicks... If that thing hooks hard with a stock posi...look out!!:yikes
Rick

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
What Ricky said James PLUS your welded up rear (if the welds are holding) will be like a spool and therefore even harder on the axles than a posi unit.

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
F84E99D2-90A0-4A63-8AF2-10B628A7E526.jpg

B781F551-0139-47AB-9CAE-B9CF3A983D3D.jpg

James... These were new Moser 17 spline axles... I did this with my baby W motor on slicks... If that thing hooks hard with a stock posi...look out!!:yikes
Rick
That looks painful
And that is why I didn't want to use one of them.
And more importantly it looks like I need to work on my tune up.

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
OK Guys,
How did Hayden and the rest do this back in the day?
Was the problem diminished by tire compounds of the day i.e. not so much grip?

What are the Dutchman axles (17 spline) like for these rear ends?

If you put the extra top arm, Bearing cap straps, and aftermarket axles then would you be alright on street rubber dropping the clutch?

Generally speaking that is

Steve

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Steve, donors from Pontiac, Olds and maybe even a Ford.

Or a shit load of free spares.
That's what I was thinking Grub. But then in the classes that they were running I. E. Driving for chev wouldn't they have to be factory to meet the class and their sponsors make?

Steve

61BUBBLE348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Steve, Pat, Tommy and Phil might chime in, but the rears have always been the weak link.

My first 61 sedan I had for 7 years from 79 -86, had a good MKIV 427 ( 360 RWHP) and TH400 with 3.08 open wheel rear, I never broke an axle or broke the centre. but I also drove it, soft on soft off. A good friend of mine who had/still has his 64 with a strong 400 sbc (480 RWHP) and Weiand blower, PG, always broke axles and centres, he went through something like 7 axles and 4 centres, he fixed it by putting a 9" 4.56 gears with 31 spline axles in, 25 years later and he still hammers it.

I am not sure what the rules were, I have seen modified rears on the NASCAR stuff, as the saying goes " If it doesn't say I can't have it, then I can "

All the manufacturers wanted the prestige and more importantly SALES.

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
That left cap broke and took out the axles. Easy to add a brace to the center of that cap to stop this. Just a thick piece of steel with an allen bolt in the center and longer cap bolts. Preload the center of the cap 20 lbs.