409 Power Steering Pump

Don 409

Well Known Member
I have heard that there is a special power steering pump for the 409's because of some bolts on the engine that it has to clear and I've also heard that a small block pump would work. What is the correct pump?
Thanks,Don

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
My '62 came with a 327 that had power steering. If I recall correctly, I used the power steering pump but had to get different brackets to mount it to the 409 that I was putting in. I also needed a different pulley. I believe I bought everything through Show Cars. Works great, Carmine.

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Only difference that I know of is the pulley, the high performance motors got the cast iron pulley where the low performance cars had a sheet metal pulley.

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I used the pump and pulley that came on the 327. Probably wrong but works great. Not sure about the bracket ?

Bill

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
The pump is the same 283,327 or 409, the brackets to mount it to the 409 engine block are different (2 -409 only brackets -the reproductions are nice I have bought 3 sets recently). The original pumps on the cars had a metal power steering connection from the back of the pump to hook to the hoses. Rebuilt/repro pumps you buy normally do not have these metal tubes.
Here is an original rebuilt pump with the one of the metal tubes on it: http://www.ebay.com/itm/291545709057?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Not pictured is the metal tube like this that bolts to the back of the pump. it looks like this to match up to the repro hoses that are sold.
http://www.show-cars.com//cgi-bin/commerce.cgi

I have lots of pictures of original 409 power steering having done 3 of them in the last 5 years and doing two more soon.
Paul

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I used the pump and pulley that came on the 327. Probably wrong but works great. Not sure about the bracket ?

Bill
As Paul mentioned, I was pretty sure that I had to get different brackets to mount the pump to my 409 block. I know that the pulley on the pump wouldn't work either. The belt alignment was way off. I remember it well because that pulley was expensive but it gave me the proper belt alignment. At least that's the way I did it, Carmine.

Don 409

Well Known Member
Hey guys,
I did get the one on ebay that pvs409 showed in his reply (thanks). I'll have to wait until I get the motor back from the builder before I get the brackets and pulley. I think I read somewhere that the pulley was cast for non-A/C cars and stamped for A/C cars. This will be going in a 64 A/C car. Can someone comment on this?
Thanks for the help.
Don

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
I used the Saginaw pump in Show Cars brackets. I used the SBC pulley and it lines up with the third row pulley on the crank. My third row pulley is a drop in to the double deep groove 409 pulley.

Don 409

Well Known Member
cuzineddy - Thanks for the pic. I noticed you have the cast pulley. Does your car have A/C?
Don

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Don,
In about 2 weeks I start assembling my 62 409 SS (after dropping motor into the car without the front end) with factory air using original pulleys and I think 63 409 upper pulleys for
the air with factory power steering pump with the cast 409 pulley. I have collected what I think will work.
We will see how everything fits - pictures will be available
Paul

Don 409

Well Known Member
cuzineddy - The 409/425 I'm building for the SS 64 is not original to the car. The car came with a 327, 4 speed and had A/C. It's in my best interest to hook up the A/C with the new engine (I'm in Georgia). Could you order A/C with a 409/425 engine in 64?
Don

pvs409 - please send me all the pics you can when you finish your build.
Don

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
There was a discussion on the forum recently about the solid lifter engines not getting the A/C option.