Hagerty's top five factory drag cars. Guess whats #1?

Jeff Olson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Five fantastic factory-built drag racers
By: Hagerty
The Big Three have often looked to racing as both a laboratory and a marketing tool — “Race on Sunday, Sell on Monday” was the mantra. For a brief moment in the early 1960s, the focus was on the NHRA, and quarter-mile times were all that mattered, that was until Ford got interested in Le Mans and GM officially banned factory-backed racing efforts. Here are four of our favorites from the golden age of factory drag cars, plus one from just a few years ago:
  1. 1963 Chevrolet Impala Z-11: The Z-11 went the most logical route for straight-line performance, combining horsepower with reduced weight — hood and fenders were aluminum and the car packed a 427-cubic-inch V-8 that was a stroked version of the famed 409. It was intentionally underrated at just 430 hp, the same dubious figure that GM quoted for the L88 Corvette four years later. Over 500 hp was more likely. Fifty Impala Z-11s were built at the GM Flint plant.
  2. 1964 Ford Fairlane Thunderbolt: Ford followed Chevy’s lead with a lightweight big-block car that was also a weapon’s-grade quarter-mile assault device. Ford went with less expensive fiberglass body panels instead of aluminum and used a version of the 427 V-8 that saw duty in NASCAR (and later the 7-liter version of the Cobra sports car). Only 100 were built, and all carried a disclaimer plate in the glovebox regarding the not-up-to-standard fit and finish of the fiberglass panels and plexi-glass windows.
  3. 1963 Pontiac Catalina Super Duty: The Catalina Super Duty took weight reduction to new heights with the famous drilled “Swiss Cheese” frame that was ordered on 15 cars. Power came from a special dual-quad version of Pontiac’s 421-cubic-inch V-8 that was also likely underrated at 405 hp. The engine option cost nearly as much as the car itself. The usual assortment of aluminum and plexi-glass were also specified to further lighten the car.
  4. 1965 Dodge Coronet A990: The A990 used what may have been the most sophisticated of the 1960s factory drag car engines, the famed 426 Hemi. Just 101 were built and most were fitted with flat-as-a-pancake bucket seats that came from, of all things, a Dodge van.
  5. 2011 Dodge Challenger Drag Pak: Harking back to the golden age of the early 1960s factory drag racers, Dodge released a Viper-powered 8.4-liter V-10 Challenger for racing only in NHRA Stock and Super Stock Classes. About 500 pounds were trimmed from the stock Challenger by eliminating the usual power accessories, A/C and backseat. They’re already starting to show up at collector car auctions.

61 Bubble

Well Known Member
LOL at the list.

the top 5 as I see em:

1st '68 SS HEMI Dart/Cuda
2nd '69 SS AMX
3rd T-bolt
4th Z11
5th '69 Zl-1 cars

I don't think is straight line, 1/4 mile ET these could be beat in there respected order.

troublemaker427

Well Known Member
I do not see the ZL-1 as a "factory drag car". It is a factory muscle car or maybe even a factory super car but not a factory drag car. The ZL-1 is similar to a Boss 429 in my way of thinking. A factory drag car is a complete package not just a cool engine in a basically normal vehicle.

My list would be as follows:
  1. 1964 Thunderbolt (100 built for one purpose, drag racing)
  2. 1963 Z-11 (built for one purpose, drag racing)
  3. 1965 Dodge/Plymouth AWB Hemi "Funny Cars" (11 built for one purpose, drag racing)
  4. 1963 Pontiac Super Duty's Swiss Cheese cars (built for drag racing)
  5. 1962 Lightweight Galaxie's (11 built by Ford for their Drag Council members to run at Indy '62)
  6. 1962 Impala aluminum front end (exact number built unknown by me for drag racing)
  7. 1962 Dodge/Plymouth Max Wedge package cars (started the small car, big engine factory race car revolution)
  8. 1965 A990 Hemi package car.
Sorry but I couldn't stop at 5.... I could add 4 or 5 more factory race car packages to the list.

As far as I'm concerned the new Drag Pack, COPO and Cobra Jets have not earned their way on the list yet but they will one day. They are still very available if your checkbook has enough zeros in it. The other are much harder to come by and have earned their way on the list over the last 50 years.

Of course this is just my opinion..... I love them all no matter what brand!!!

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
New fast cars are a dime a dozen, if your dime is big enough. They are nice to look at and many of them are way faster than what was built in the 60's, but ....................... even if I had the money, I don't think I'd bother having one.

Don