1961 Impala 2 Door Sedan - Let's Get Started...

blkss64

Well Known Member
Jon, the original side panels were in really bad shape. The cardboard was so brittle that the edge clips couldn't get a good foothold. I kept the them, but they are in very poor condition. It would probably be better to just replace at this point.
They can build you completely brand new panels, cardboard and all. All you need to do is remove the curved metal upper panels at the top of your old panels. Once you remove the old boards and material, send them your metal rails and they will construct all new panels for you, boards and all. Use your metal rails you know they will fit your car. You will receive door panels that require just you installation. Look on their website. There is also Cars in Michigan that can do the same thing. Jon

tcb-1

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
In that case, I will pull my old panels out of the mothballs! Thanks for your suggestion, Jon!!

tcb-1

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Well, well, well. Looky what I got. I KNOW, it's not a w engine, but it is a step up from the 230 in her now ;)

1961 date coded, Flint block 283. It was a 2 barrel, but I also was fortunate enough to get a GM q-jet intake. Kind of glad I did, since I have a mid 60's q-just in my garage I thought I'd never use..... I can finally send it off for a fresh rebuild.

Now I need to do a teardown on the engine and check everything out. I am doing a complete rebuild to factory specs (if possible) and a factory look cosmetic makeover. Proper decals, tower hose clamps, plug wire looms, the works. Something about a fresh Chevrolet orange engine that makes me happy!!

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Too cool. For many many years, even though they were not the biggest or fastest, 283's were my favorite motor. Nice build plan.

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
It's really hard to beat 283s and 327s in my book. I never had a bad one, and they would take a sever beating. Maybe they are small by today's standards, but who cares??

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I'm glad I found this thread. I had no idea you could get an Impala model in a '61 2d sd. Learn something new all the time. Thanks, Carmine.

tcb-1

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
It's funny Carmine. I found out about this car, went to look at it, and bought it not knowing it was an "interesting" vehicle. Once I talked to a friend who eats and sleeps 58-65 Impalas, I learned about it's quirkiness. Like Dan said, this was the only year a sedan was offered with the Impala trim level. I did a bit more searching, and found out of all '61 Impala body styles available (total 490,000), only 6,500 2 door sedans were built with 6 cylinder and 7,000 were built with a 8 cylinder. I'm very proud of this car. I couldn't have asked for a more solid format.

Last edited:

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Hey Doug, refresh our collective memory, what city do you live in?

And was that '61 from Brunswick, MO?

Cheers!
TomK

tcb-1

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Tom, the car lived it's entire life in the small town of Triplett, MO and was sold new Chuck Wells Chevrolet in Brunswick, MO. Triplett is about 5 miles from Brunswick to the northwest.

I live in Shawnee, KS, a suburb of Kansas City. I grew up in Poplar Bluff, MO. Went to college over there by you ;) in Linn and Jefferson City.

tcb-1

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Thought I'd ask the question. Why would both of my c "pillars" have deep fine scratch marks like in the photo? Remember, this is an original paint car. Did the factory use much body filler on certain parts body joints? I assume that the roof upper section was welded onto the "c" pillar and the line filled? Thoughts anyone?

Last edited:

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
There is a seam there joining the roof to the quarter panel. They filled the spot welded seam with lead and knocked it down with a grinder. The lacquer primer filled in the scratches. The primer and finish coat shrunk down over the years and reveal the scratches. My new '69 Mustang was so wavy in that area, it was surreal. Looked like an early Monday morning lead job!

tcb-1

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Thanks Leo! I've seen pictures from the Fisher Body line of the roof of mid 60's GM being "leaded" in. Just didn't put 2 and 2 together!

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Leo's right...........the seams were filled with lead. No bondo from the factory!!!!!