1961 C60 Viking front suspension

dakota tom

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I brought a 1961 Viking 60 at a farm auction yesterday. 84k miles,261 six, 4sd 2sd axle.

I was wondering what to look for on the torsion bar independent front suspension for wear?

Why did Chevrolet go back to leaf springs on their trucks? Cost or problems with this design?

May be my ramp truck project, 348 swap maybe?

409, 4l80e,C30 front suspension-rear axle,19.5 wheels maybe?

I will try to get some photos on later today.

buildit

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
I was told years ago that they had to drop the torsion bar front end over a patent dispute. They ride really well compared to leaf springs on a straight axle. I have a '62 C60 short nose cab truck with a car 340 HP 409 and a 5 spd/2 spd combo.

Last edited:

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
You can also swap in a complete front cross and suspension from a late model up to about 1999 I beleive. It's almost a direct bolt in.

dakota tom

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
photos of the truck

Attachments

• HPIM1135.JPG
    HPIM1135.JPG
    84.3 KB · Views: 98
  • HPIM1136.JPG
    HPIM1136.JPG
    73.4 KB · Views: 99
  • HPIM1137.JPG
    HPIM1137.JPG
    98.9 KB · Views: 104
  • HPIM1138.JPG
    HPIM1138.JPG
    73.1 KB · Views: 94
  • HPIM1139.JPG
    HPIM1139.JPG
    66.2 KB · Views: 99
  • HPIM1140.JPG
    HPIM1140.JPG
    66.7 KB · Views: 102
  • HPIM1141.JPG
    HPIM1141.JPG
    78.8 KB · Views: 101
  • HPIM1142.JPG
    HPIM1142.JPG
    72.8 KB · Views: 102
  • HPIM1145.JPG
    HPIM1145.JPG
    83.3 KB · Views: 100
  • HPIM1144.JPG
    HPIM1144.JPG
    83.1 KB · Views: 73

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Did you see the 1965 409 here in Kansas . It is posted here on this site. I believe you asked about my 409 fire truck when i had it for sale .Don't know what you paid for 1961 .but they are asking $5500.00 or offer on the 1965.

dakota tom

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
This truck sold for $1850 and was about 50 miles from home. Side tank is 3/4 full of gas. Could have drove it home if I could have found someone to drive me to the sale. Couldn't locate one brother and the other was in Minot ND at an auction buying another 70 Chevelle. Went without trailer to the sale not seeing but one photo in the auction listing. Came home and got the trailer and dually.
I saw the other truck linked from this forum. Looks good.
This truck was one owner, estate sale. 54years and one week from when he drove it home from the dealer.
I have one good truck 348 and could piece together a truck 409.
It may be a good cleaning and buff job, try to get the dings out, take the sides off the box. Call it good for now.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
You got it cheap enough to where you can build to your liking. Wished I had a need for those old truck"s ,but since I live in town no place to play with one.

Dewman

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Nice Truck Tom. This brings back a few memories. My Grandpa had one just like it, I spent many hours hauling grain in his truck near Kief ND, well before I had a drivers license, never forget the time the herd bull took after me, I had to be about 8-10, I barely made it to the truck & into the box.

I'm glad to see the old gal is in good hands. Thanks for sharing your good fortune with us.

buildit

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Another neat thing about the torsion bar front trucks is the front fenders. They're about 2 inches wider than the later leaf spring truck fenders.

dakota tom

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
my family bought a new 1962 Ford 600 with a 262 inline 6. Hauled many loads with it. The scale guys were laughing when I came in weighing about 33000 once. My brother owns it now. Still a nice truck.

It was 104 heat index here today so not to excited about working on the truck today. I don't think I will be making long runs in it so the six will stay for now. I got some literature bought off Ebay. It shows 261 inline six or 283 v-8 in 60 series. 70 or 80 series got the 348. A 348 swap would be a racer swap then and would lead to chrome covers and cams changes.:winner

The 348 I have is a late 655 block and has most of the brackets, water pump, etc.
there is a bell housing on a 366 that looks like it would work.
Got an under, direct, over splitter trans that has 17% splits that would help with highway cruise.

Looking at ways to restore some shine to the paint. I haven't done any paint buffing with power buffers yet. Looks like work:rub

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
You would be suprised at how well that paint will buff up. It's well worth the time spent. I have done it a number of times. Just a little detailing makes all the difference in the world.

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
You may not remember, but Petepedlar (Dave) has an awesome result from buffing the old paint on his Roman Red 61 Impala.

Don

dakota tom

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I think it will come out nice with a good buffing. I haven't done it myself in 35 years. Back then I was trying to buff out a 1969 l-78 Nova. Electric sander-polisher with a wool bonnet that was tied on the pad. After it came off the second time and the backing pad burned the paint again I quit using it.
I don't want to mess the truck up.

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
I brought a 1961 Viking 60 at a farm auction yesterday. 84k miles,261 six, 4sd 2sd axle.

I was wondering what to look for on the torsion bar independent front suspension for wear?

Why did Chevrolet go back to leaf springs on their trucks? Cost or problems with this design?

May be my ramp truck project, 348 swap maybe?

409, 4l80e,C30 front suspension-rear axle,19.5 wheels maybe?

I will try to get some photos on later today.

If I remember right just jack the front up and pry on the suspension or wheel to check for slop. This experience is from 50 years ago. Back in the mid 60's we bought our first tandem dump truck. A 61 Chevy with a 348 and a 5x3 trans, twin screw, and a 13' box. I found that when spreading rock with the end gate chained a little tight you could really raise the front end off the ground. If you kept moving as the rock flowed out and the front end came down nicely. A couple of times I had a customer in the passenger seat and it scared the shit out of them.....:winner:winner:winner:winnerThat 348 was the first big engine I ever overhauled. Later on in that trucks life it became an off road truck. When the balls on the torsion arm suspension wore out I cut them open, built up the balls with weld and capped them back up as I remember. That worked until we finally scrapped the truck. It wore out the 348 and I put a 366 in it later on. Welding up your balls might not work on an on-road application??

Last edited:

dakota tom

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
409 Guy your story reminds me of a Chevrolet dealer talking about how tough Allison automatics were. A road contractor had bought several dump trucks with 427s and autos. They had to put in heavier rear axles because the drivers were breaking the originals by doing tranny drops to dump the load, picking up the fronts 3-4 ft. Saved time because they didn't have to raise the box all the way.

I have a ball joint test set that has a vise grip with a flexible holder for a dial indicator. I have used it to check many things in my profession of motorcycle/power sports tech for over 40 years but never an automotive ball joint yet. I hope to have some time this weekend to check the ones on the truck. The truck appears to be well maintained with some grease around the front end components.

I have looked at several trucks of this era, some the doors almost fell off when I opened them. Wanted a pre 64 to have the wrap around wind shield. I looked this truck over and didn't think many better than this were out there.

Had thought of getting a rear air ride cut off from a school bus to make it ride nice, but this truck has survived too well for me to change it up much. Maybe another truck will come along?

Still looking at buffers. Maybe I should get a price quote from a pro. Might end up adding 40% to the cost of the truck?

dakota tom

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I had no time Sunday for the truck. Today after dinner/noon meal, I pulled the box sides off. Now have a 16" flatbed.
The grass in the pasture here is getting thin for the cattle. They heard the loader running and came in hoping I was getting them some hay. It was time so I got a couple of round bales for them.
After supper I got the truck by the farm shop and started to look over the front suspension.
Every thing looks good except the idler arm could use some attention and the rh outer tie rod end has lost the rubber seal and is worn.

62BillT

Well Known Member
Another neat thing about the torsion bar front trucks is the front fenders. They're about 2 inches wider than the later leaf spring truck fenders.

That is true, but not in all cases. The '63 to '66 trucks with a Heavy Front Axle also had the Wide Fenders. Most, if not all, of the C-80's had the Wide Fenders.

Bill