62 Belair from the Meltdown

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
I had a friend that raced a AMC AMX back in the days in IHRA factory stock class and he had rear end problems and some how they got a part# put in the parts catalog for a 9 inch Ford rear end.
So it would be interesting to know what all went on back then.

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
While bearing support caps/straps, aftermarket axles, braced housings, etc. can help our original rears live with 400+ HP and slicks......I still just don't think it's a great idea to invest the money into one unless you are just doing it to prove a point. If you add up what those parts cost along with the price of a good posi, etc... it's a good bit of money. You can get into a 9" housing & axles for around $1100 shipped.....then you've still got to have a center section with a spool or posi, but the 9" is so plentiful this could probably be found used locally for around $400. You wouldn't have to have a nodular case - Daytona pinion support, etc. until you are making more power. Piece of mind would be worth tons.

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
AMC=All Makes Combined!
One of my 1st automotive jobs was a "LOT MAN " for a AMC Rambler dealer here on Long Island. I remember bringing a 1965 marlin 0nto the show room floor. I remember a mechanic telling a salesman that the optional engine stated in the showroom brochure was in fact a 327 Chevrolet engine. It was even painted CHEVY ORANGE." :dunno:scratch:rub
:crazy:cheers

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
It seems to me like there are two ways to go with a rear differential.

1. If you want to use stock stuff that you have go with tires that don't hook so that will be your weak point so parts stay together.

2. If you want to use slicks that bite you will need to go with a ford 9" of some sort. I went with one from Quick Performance with the 4 link. I also went with this Eaton TrueTrack differential . Works great at the track and also on the street.

http://www.eaton.com/Eaton/ProductsServices/Vehicle/Differentials/detroit-truetrac/index.htm

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
It seems to me like there are two ways to go with a rear differential.

1. If you want to use stock stuff that you have go with tires that don't hook so that will be your weak point so parts stay together.

2. If you want to use slicks that bite you will need to go with a ford 9" of some sort. I went with one from Quick Performance with the 4 link. I also went with this Eaton TrueTrack differential . Works great at the track and also on the street.

http://www.eaton.com/Eaton/ProductsServices/Vehicle/Differentials/detroit-truetrac/index.htm
A Chevy 12 bolt, Mopar 8 3/4", or Dana 60 are also very capable options, but the 9" is the best for the money and for availability.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
James and I have discussed staying "all GM" as opposed to F%^d nine inch in the rear. Would be a GM twelve bolt unit upgraded to four links. No decision as yet.

We also discussed the next engine build. James wants to stay stock stroke, but we have options :).

Cheers! TomK

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
I do have a mid 70s chevy truck 12 bolt that could go in it.
And a 9 inch ford

I was told that the early olds rear will fit in the housing. Any truth to that?

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
And a 9 inch ford

The truck 12 bolt is not nearly as strong as the car 12 bolts. They are not the same parts. I run a 67 Camaro 12 bolt in my car, but was mentioning the 9" due to their availability these days.

An early Pontiac/Olds center will not fit in our housings, but the whole thing can be modified to work. See Dan's in this thread:

http://www.348-409.com/forum/threads/building-stock-rear-end.26475/#post-230496

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Also, I'm not sure if he still has it or not, but Phil had a really nice 12 bolt FOR SALE already fabbed to fit our cars. It came with control arms and even the driveshaft I think. He had it priced very reasonably. I'm not sure if he still has it, but if you wanna go 12 bolt it would be the best deal around.

4speedman

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
While bearing support caps/straps, aftermarket axles, braced housings, etc. can help our original rears live with 400+ HP and slicks......I still just don't think it's a great idea to invest the money into one unless you are just doing it to prove a point. If you add up what those parts cost along with the price of a good posi, etc... it's a good bit of money. You can get into a 9" housing & axles for around $1100 shipped.....then you've still got to have a center section with a spool or posi, but the 9" is so plentiful this could probably be found used locally for around $400. You wouldn't have to have a nodular case - Daytona pinion support, etc. until you are making more power. Piece of mind would be worth tons.

I agree with this, been there, done that with with the stock units both posi and open not much luck with either of them.I put a 12 bolt in back when they were cheap and had no more problems.Today i would go with a 9 inch unless i had a 12 bolt on hand.You will spend a lot of time and effort upgrading the stock stuff and it might last maybe if the tires do not hook and you don't want that.

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
And a 9 inch ford

James

409 Charlie has been running either olds or Pontiac behind his stroker/automatic for quite some time in his "60". I'll give him a call sometime and report back.

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Thanks
For now I am dubbing it Led Zeppelin 2
I think I had a air pocket in my first job so its rock and roll now.
And there is no twist in the splines yet
. Man that just makes me look bad.

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Also, I'm not sure if he still has it or not, but Phil had a really nice 12 bolt FOR SALE already fabbed to fit our cars. It came with control arms and even the driveshaft I think. He had it priced very reasonably. I'm not sure if he still has it, but if you wanna go 12 bolt it would be the best deal around.

I know Tom tried to get in touch with Phil on that rear but didn't have any luck.

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
The truck 12 bolt is not nearly as strong as the car 12 bolts. They are not the same parts. I run a 67 Camaro 12 bolt in my car, but was mentioning the 9" due to their availability these days.

An early Pontiac/Olds center will not fit in our housings, but the whole thing can be modified to work. See Dan's in this thread:

http://www.348-409.com/forum/threads/building-stock-rear-end.26475/#post-230496
I have a 1968 Camaro 12 bolt under "JOINT VENTURE " It's been under the car since we 1st built it in 68 Had 6:17s 5:57s with a spool. Iy now has a 3:73 posi for the road.PictureKodak easy share photos 735.jpg :crazy:cheers:cheers