Question for the engine gurus

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I would bet you could sell as is and make money on it!!!!

Possibly. The brakes are typical old drum brakes-pull side to side, tires are 20 yrs old with cracks, engine doesn't run as well as it should-all things for someone to try to knock the price down, besides I'm afraid to drive it as is. It'll be running sweet, stopping well and have new tires when I put it up for sale-plus a couple of other goodies.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Well my Pep Boys 500 cfm arrived today:D so I installed it. Seems to run much better but I couldn't test drive. I confirmed another suspicion I had, the dampner is loose:eek1
I had a concern when I saw an item someone installed. There is a 2" or so bearing bolted right in front of the crank pully and occasionally the pully will rub on the bearing, like it has runout. So I was thinking why in hell would someone put a bearing down there:dunno. The things people do amazes me:scratch It also makes a lot of noise so I removed the belt and was able to jiggle the pully, looking at the dampner it moves also so it's loose on the crank shaft. Hopefully it's the dampner and not something with the crankshaft itself. It has the early 1955 type thin dampner and I happen to have one on another engine at my shop so until I get it apart I'm assuming the dampner is bad and I'll replace it when I take the radiator out.
Next question, it is OK to bang the new dampner on with the engine installed? Can the dampner be heated to 300 degrees to make the hole expand or will that damage the rubber?

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Heard about putting the crank in the freezer but not heating the damper. Damper should be good to 350 degrees I would think. As far as banging it on,that should be ok. Get a 5lb bead blow or lead hammer and back the flywheel flange. That's what I do.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
How do you back the crank flange with the engine and trans installed in the car? Or is that good enough? I'm hoping the crank was drilled

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
At 350 deg the hole should expand about 4-5 thou, don't know how much of a press fit they are.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Trying to identify it. It has both pri and sec squirters, bowls with sight glass, of course mech secondary. Butterflies are 1 11/16 front and back. I'm thinking it never came with a choke. Looks quite newish, probably on the car a year or so. Shipping can't be bad, it'll fit in a USPS large flat rate box which is $15, about $19 with insurance. I no longer take credit cards so it'll have to be money order or paypal. Make me an offer.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Well about done:applamazing how little things can take so long. Turns out the engine is a 283 not a 265:happy
Sprung for BFG's, didn't want to spend that much but 14's are hard to find. Engine runs great with the 500 Eddy. Found out my standard010.JPG 014.JPG 015.JPG disc kit fits 14" Cragars without an issue. Bought a new repop damper from Rock auto. Someone started to drill crank so I finished and installed without a hitch. Had black valve covers on the shelf so I went that way. Final clean and tune and up for sale it'll go. As long as it takes to sell cars these days I will be driving it to car shows and such until that happy day occurs