W/W Washers won't shut off

bjburnout

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
......remember way back in the day when the w/w washers wouldn't shut off and
all you did was go to a parts store, get a new washer pump and presto all was ok again........:rub
.....well my 63 Belair washers won't shut off..........:scratch .....and it seems no one sells those
pumps for the 2 speed wiper motors....:dunno2.....any suggestions on repair or replacement......:read

bobs409

Administrator
I'll soon be looking into why mine don't work, I'll probably have some good ideas why yours aren't shutting off after that. :D

My one truck does this when it's real cold out for a few years now. It's "temperamental" I guess. :D I haven't checked into that one yet.

bobs409

Administrator
Thanks BJ! I just got done fixing my washers thanks to your post. :D

In my case, the contact was dirty on the top of the relay gizmo inside that pulls the arm down. The last time these worked had to be prior to 1981 because they never worked for me. They even spray fluid with the original O-rings in there. (gotta love them old Chevy's) :metal

The best thing I can tell ya on yours problem is the arm may have been jarred out of position or perhaps the little spring broke inside that keeps tension on the arm. No matter what, you'll have to take it off and have a look. Inside there is a ratcheted wheel that goes around and at the end of it's cycle, it moves the arm back to an off position. Yours is not letting that happen for some reason. Have a look and see if there is anything obvious like a spring off or any broken parts.