Z-11 AIR CLEANER NEED SOME INFO

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Just finished gathering all of the bake-ware and aluminum sheet needed to start on the air cleaner. I already started to bead roll and English wheel a test tray to see how it would turn out for a lid.100_2348.JPG Next will be to make the carburetor mounting/ drop base to weld into the cake pan. We'll see how that turns out in the next few weeks.

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
The lid that I practiced on is only 20", so it is a little small for the cake pan. I am going to try and roll some beads in it so it looks more like an original. I just hope it doesn't distort too much. If all goes well with the practice lid then it's on to the the larger 21" lid that is sitting on the cake pan. The 21" lids are much heavier and will be harder to shape. Hopefully it will turn out ok :pray. Now that I have the aluminum sheet, I am going to concentrate on the base.

Brian, I think your lid looks great! I am just going to see if I can make one to look more like the original.

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
100_2922.JPG 100_2923.JPG 100_2924.JPG 100_2919.JPG 100_2920.JPG Well spent most of the day in the garage working on the Z11 air cleaner. I'm very happy with how the air cleaner lid came out. The welds on the base are a little sloppy but I'm using a spool gun on my mig. Some day I hope to have a tig welder.:pray

Here are some pictures. Next week I'll try and make the firewall flange.

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Thanks guys! Can't wait for Saturday to come so I can get started on the firewall flange.

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Another day of progress in the garage. Made a snorkel and started to line it up with the firewall. I had made a firewall flange and cut it apart three times so far. I've been using the diagram in the assembly manual and pictures of an original air cleaner that Phil posted sometime back for Brian.

I made a wooden form for the snorkel and used the shrinker / stretcher and body hammers to form the two pieces over the wood1128151429-00.jpg 1128151430-00.jpg 1128151431-00.jpg . After I made them I re-measured and found that it's not quite as wide where it attaches to the base as I was planning. Not sure why, I measured tons of times before I cut out the form. Still should flow more air than the carbs will flow.

I also had a thought about how much will be involved with removing the air cleaner and added tubing to the carburetor hold downs for access to the needles and springs for tuning. No need to remove the air cleaner. I thought about just turning the hold downs at an angle, but figured if I did there would be too much of a disturbance/ restriction to the incoming air at one primary and one secondary venturi.1128151430-01.jpg Well, what are everyone's thoughts?

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Thanks guys! Hopefully I can finish up the firewall flange this week and see how it all comes together. Then cut holes in the base and attach the snorkel. I'm going to check with a local company about getting it powder coated since it won't fit in my oven. I really like polished aluminum, but I think this would be just too much for me to polish.

Hey Brian, did you ever post a picture of the inside of you air cleaner?

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Ok, my next dilemma. Do I have this powder coated, which will show all of the imperfections or epoxy prime, a little body work and paint? Going with gloss black as most pictures I've seen are black. I've smoothed out most of the welds, but not perfect. 100_2933.JPG 100_2934.JPG 100_2936.JPG