Flywheel tooth ct 57 SBC

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
A buddy is putting a 283 in a 57 he just picked up and using the stock bellhousing the starter bolts to. He is just not sure what flywheel tooth count he needs. He's getting a good one since he wants to spin it some rpm.

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
He wants to keep the stock look of the starter mounted bell housing but use a GOOD flywheel so it does not grenade power shifting.

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
When I street raced my 409 had a buddy that shoved a 455 Pontiac in his 65 GTO (he bought from Barry Taylor). He side stepped it one day and grenaded the clutch -looked like an Uzi got the floorboard,firewall and hood! Made me a believer in scattershields!

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Cecil, I thought 63 were 153's?

Also, the flywheel size matches to the bell housing size. I think any BH with a starter mount takes a 168 tooth, but 63 up SBC's had a closed bottom aluminum BH and and 153 tooth flywheel.

Don

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Butch...............I think you have a flex plate.

Don...................you are correct in pointing out 63 small block was 153 tooth. The 409's continued with the 168. Cecil must have been into the wine last night!!!!!!!!!!!!

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Yes I was. It's the wines fault. I meant up to 63…..or 55-62.

Now there was a 153T flywheel introduced in 62 but it was on the Chevy II 4 and 6 cyl engines. It was also used on the over the counter small block sold by dealers to retrofit the 62 chevy II with a V-8 but was not actually used in production.

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
What did they use on the aluminum 1962 327 powerglides, that must have been the 153 flexplate too?

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
Thanks guys he has a 168 ordered to get it balanced with crank.

One related question-when he built his 63 Chevy truck he found the bearing retainer/throw out bearing sleeve on Chevy transmissions have different ODs where they go into the bellhousing. His 63 was different than a 67 truck he got some parts from. He said he has also noticed some Muncies and T-10s with different sized ones where they go into the bellhousing. Any guidelines on that?

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
63 was the year of the small diameter front bearing retainer on everything except 409……..not so sure if trucks were different.

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
So SBC had small except 409? They carry that after 63? Before 63 and after 64? BOPs the same?

I knew you Cecil would have some ideas!