PARTS SOURCES, WHOSE GOOD, WHOSE NOT?

topbubble

I'm getting started on a '62 Bel Air project and was wondering whose good out there and whose not when it comes to restoration parts. These days it seems like there are there are more choices than ever including Rock Auto, Summit Racing, etc. in addition to the resto dealers like Impala Bob's, Classic, etc. Just wondering what vendors out there really treat their customers right when it comes to quality, pricing, tech support, returns, etc.

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Hey topbubble.
A lot of guys here can give you advice but a lot of the advice can be part specific. I.e. patch panels from here are better than from there etc.
If you give us an idea of what your car needs then we can give you some feed back.
Also guys on here may have some of what you need.

Add some pics is always a good way to get feed back as well

Steve

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I'm thinking my first purchase will be a gas tank, sending unit, etc.
Gas tank make sure you get the one manufactured in Canada. As to the sender have your original restored. The aftermarket senders are junk made in China.

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
Or Mexico. (Spectre) from Rock Auto. (Sorry Bob.):doh Can't comment, on the quality. Haven't installed it yet.:dunno2

Geary Trussell

Well Known Member
The aftermarket and repo parts available are definitely a "buyer beware" proposition . You are better off refurbishing the OE part if it is possible. While there are good repo parts out there, new does not always mean good. Like LMBRJQ 60 says do some research ask about experiences on forums and then get an assurance from the supplier that they will take the part back if its not correct or inferior.

topbubble

Gas tank make sure you get the one manufactured in Canada. As to the sender have your original restored. The aftermarket senders are junk made in China.

Great advice guys, keep it coming, I really appreciate it. Where is a good source to have my original sending unit restored?

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Rock Auto.com is as good as it gets for customer service etc. They do not manufacture parts they sell so you need to know a little about the manufactuer before you commit. They are every bit as good as Summit for getting things out quickly and sell for less then anyone else I can find. I buy a lot of Dorman products through them and I can not find a better source and I buy wholesale.

bobs409

Administrator
One of the problems with Rock auto is those great prices go away real fast when the shipping gets added in! No matter how many times I ordered from them, it always came out that the parts had to ship from 3 different locations! There goes that good deal you thought you were getting.

Summit on the other hand gives free shipping if you order more than $99.99

When I'm doing a project, I make out a spread sheet chart and list the parts I need, then go shopping online for the prices from a few vendors. (take shipping cost into the equation too)

Some parts you're better off paying a little more for but many are the same things everyone has. See the review section of this forum for a few threads that might be helpful.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
One of the problems with Rock auto is those great prices go away real fast when the shipping gets added in! No matter how many times I ordered from them, it always came out that the parts had to ship from 3 different locations! There goes that good deal you thought you were getting.

Summit on the other hand gives free shipping if you order more than $99.99

When I'm doing a project, I make out a spread sheet chart and list the parts I need, then go shopping online for the prices from a few vendors. (take shipping cost into the equation too)

Some parts you're better off paying a little more for but many are the same things everyone has. See the review section of this forum for a few threads that might be helpful.

Of course, you should know how that works since you ship some stuff. As soon as you have to use another box it becomes a new shipping, seperate charge. When I order I only order the amount I can get from a single source, but then I'm ordering things like lug studs, castle nuts/grease caps, in qty.

topbubble

Rock Auto.com is as good as it gets for customer service etc. They do not manufacture parts they sell so you need to know a little about the manufactuer before you commit. They are every bit as good as Summit for getting things out quickly and sell for less then anyone else I can find. I buy a lot of Dorman products through them and I can not find a better source and I buy wholesale.
Great info! Re. Dorman, I've used a few of their products in the past with good results and they seem to have been around forever. Generally speaking are Dorman parts true OEM quality? Are Dorman products American made by chance?

4speedman

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The aftermarket and repo parts available are definitely a "buyer beware" proposition . You are better off refurbishing the OE part if it is possible. While there are good repo parts out there, new does not always mean good. Like LMBRJQ 60 says do some research ask about experiences on forums and then get an assurance from the supplier that they will take the part back if its not correct or inferior.

I have restored two 63s and did some work for other people and i can tell you the repo parts are disappointing at best and the nos are now mostly pick over and not always that great.A good trim restoration shop although they are pricy is the way to go with your original trim.On your other parts as the other guys have already said be careful and be ready to return a lot of parts.The supplier will tell you that this is the best on the market?? check around there might be something else.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I agree with the repro parts comments the and "the quality is getting worse" and be prepared to return parts for a refund.
I want to know who makes the parts that are for sale before I buy. Only when those of us doing restorations say no to parts will you get what you pay for.
After 5 frame off restorations in the last 15 years and experience with all of these companies and with the quality of the parts from others. There are discounts available from some of them.
  • The Canada gas tank is a Spectra Premium - http://www.spectrapremium.com/products/fuel_tank.html -vendors sell their tanks ask for this brand, if they don't have it. use a different company.
  • For andoized aluminum trim(grill,side chrome) restore your originals - 2 or more good guys or companies - prices vary - Again the originals fit and look better than repro in my opinion. It is more expensive as others have stated here but its worth it.
  • Restore your original stainless - or buy used original stainless and restore it - do not buy reproduction - the original fits...............
  • I have been using Cars Inc (in Michigan or California) for sheetmetal (they sell lots of USA Made sheetmetal - last 3 cars we did & are doing I used them (the example was a complete floor pan with all the braces -made in the USA with a jig vs the overseas floor pan for a savings of only a few hundred $) . https://carsinc.com/
  • Do not buy repro hood hinges restore your original hinges (assuming your rivits are bad -they usually are ) - It he rebuilds your hinges they will be like NOS hinges - http://www.hoodhingerepair.com/
  • Use Trim parts for emblems - They are very close to NOS parts(Lots of vendors sell their parts - check what they have and only buy their brand -ask the vendor.....many are selling poor quality overseas parts) http://www.trimparts.com/
  • Excellent source for restoring instrument conversion of factory tachs - http://www.williamsons.com/
  • Buy only the best 62 firewall pad (not the $50 one) - The good ones that fit and look like the originals cost over $100.
  • You also have potmetal on some of your window frames - if the items are pitted only some companies do pot metal chroming.
  • Rechrome original bumpers and window frames (that are steel) - the repros are 1/2 the thicknesses and those I have seen don't fit as good as originals.
  • Window glass -windshields and side glass - http://www.autocityclassic.com/
  • Two companies for original interiors (Cars Inc and Ciadella http://www.ciadellainteriors.com/) I have both brands of interiors
  • Original wiring - American Autowire.
  • I have other comments if I know the part
Paul

topbubble

Thank you very much everyone, the info. shared here is fantastic and will save me a lot of heartache! I haven't done much to my car yet other than have the original bumpers re-chromed. If I can find a local shop here I'll have my original gas tank boiled out and I'll re-paint it with the zinc gas tank paint that Eastwood sells I'm thinking. I'll also look into having my original fuel sending unit rebuilt instead of buying a lesser quality replacement.

If it weren't for what I've learned from you all so far I would have make some mistakes already regarding parts! Thanks again and keep the recommendations coming.

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The spectra tank is priced so resonable and the quality is excellent, it isn't worth the time and expense to restore your original tank. By the time your done it will probably of cost you more.

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
If you know the manufacturer of the part, check the part number from a variety of sites/vendors. Some of the most specialized places do not list the manufacturers part number, this makes it hard to bargain check across multiple stores. With a few exceptions, you should be able to find the same part on Summit at you can say Hubbards (not picking on anyone, just an example). I found a floor pan from Sherman on one site, no manufacturers part number. Once I went to the manufacturers site, got the part number, I went to Summit. On Summit, it was nearly $100 cheaper, but after free shipping (I think Summit messed up on my behalf for truck freight), I saved another $200.
Best advice I can give is, don't make an impulse buy, take sometime and look around. At worst, you can always do a web search on the Manufacturers Part Number, and you'll see everyone who sells the part on one or two pages.

ragtp66

Well Known Member
A few more tips...There are several vendors that will Bring your parts to a car show near you free of charge if you order prior to the show. CarsInc is one Auto City Classics is another on small stuff it probably won't mean much but order a complete set of glass and watch how fast the shipping charges add up. I had very good luck calling and asking Auto City if they had any open box floor pans & trunk pans for my 58 which they did and who cares if a patch panel has a scratch in it when it arrives your going to massage it anyway. I got $100 floor pans for $50 each and they brought them to the Jefferson Swap meet no charge. Don't be afraid to ask for a bundle discount if your ordering a bunch of stuff. CarsInc was running a special on interior kits and gave me 15% off anything else I added to the invoice for a different project and again got free delivery to the show and no sales tax. I look at it like if I save $100 in shipping that means I can buy another $100 worth of stuff I need. Lord knows with these cars you ALWAYS need something.

Chris