Flywheel tooth ct 57 SBC

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
We've used a couple truck bell housings as they are usually much less expensive than a passenger bell housing. The truck has a bigger bearing retainer hole than a standard passenger housing does(way bigger than the small '63 retainer). We got the larger bearing retainers from Kajun John. Here is a link to his web site http://www.kajunjon.com/ I believe he was also selling them on Ebay and I think he listed them as a bearing retainer adapter for a truck bell housing.

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
This is a bellhousing for a 57 car we just needed to see what the scoop is on the OD since he ran into that putting a car Munice in the 63 truck.

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
63 only on the small bearing retainer. On the truck BH with the large bearing retainer opening, you can buy a spacer to fit the regular size car bearing retainer equipped car transmission in the truck BH.

Don

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Sounds like your problem is the transmission. Only the 63 trannys had the small front bearing retainer……either that or get a 63 only bellhousing then replace the small aluminum front bearing retanier with the cast iron one.

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
Maybe that was his 63 truck issue Cecil. But he swears he has Muncies with different size bearing retainers

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
Well he found other sources that said it could be the small one-bought it and it was wrong!

Should be a nice motor when done staying 283 3" stroke got some mini domed pistons-said they were hard to find not too much 283 stuff around. Aluminum heads he is going to camouflage as Power Packs on the end. Old Z/28-LT1 intake and a solid lifter cam.

I remember a lot of the dirt tracks had 292(overbore 283s) as the spec motor for the class in the 70s!

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
"Other sources" Skip, I hope you directed him to this thread and all the sage advice from old people? Those small block people are easily confused?:poke:poke

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
I did! Actually he is more a Pontiac guy, some Chevies but builds a few other brands. He always finds the deals and can't pass them up fixes one up and sells it to finance another-he has about 20 cars of various types!