Nickolson ram air

RCampbell

Well Known Member
Don reportedly forced air from deleted out board head lights to the carburators. Does anyone have photos of the carburator end of the system? What did the carb box look like? Where/how did the duct hose connect?

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
Most of those type had dual snorkle air cleaner base the hoses attach to Ford Lightning Bolts also had them. Spectre and another company make some now.

RCampbell

Well Known Member
Let's try this another way too.....Anyone have photos of the engine compartment on the Jack shaw/White Tornado car?

awsumcars

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Always liked the ducted intake systems, Thunderbolts and all. Here's a pic of the setup I put together on the '62 BA........

Attachments

• IMG_1145.JPG
    IMG_1145.JPG
    83.6 KB · Views: 60

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
I remember in the old days, that aluminum duct work would pick up just as much heat as not having it at all. You need something that doesn't conduct heat so well. Carl has the right stuff.

Quickshift409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Russ, I have quite a few old magazines that I have been looking through but have yet to see a picture of Nicholson's air duct system. If I find one you will be the first to know. Their must be one some where.

RCampbell

Well Known Member
Thanks for all the help. The mystery is solved. I have a good friend who remembers Nicholson's car at the 63 Nationals. The ram tubes from the headlites went directly to the top of the carburators...no air box. We have an old photo that varifies this. His car in later photos had velocity stacks sealed to a hood scoop. I have a photo of the Jack Shaw car with headlites taped over the inlets...so there may have been a "rule" issue. The ram systems appears to have been abandoned on both cars.

RCampbell

Well Known Member
I'm not that savy...but I'm sure Susan will. The photos aren't very sharp...but we'll see what come through. Russ

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
is this also one of the reasons that some of the cars run with the hood spaced up at the rear?

Steve