Fuel tank sending unit screw washers

Lt.FrankDrebin

Well Known Member
I had a set of new sender unit screws just a couple days ago, but I can't find them for the life of me. Anyway, I have screws that can replace them, but not the copper washers. How can I seal these screws to the sender unit and/or the gas tank? I refuse to buy another set of screws because I know they're around here somewhere.

jdk971

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
go to a ace or similar hardware store, with your screw. they should have copper washers. jim

vin 58

Supporting Member 1
I bought mine at the local True Value but they have the best hardware dept I ever seen Vin

Lt.FrankDrebin

Well Known Member
Thanks guys. I'll check Ace Hardware just up the street from me. Didn't think they'd have copper washers. I checked Home Depot today and they have brass washers, but not copper.

wrench

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
I make my own lead washers.

I take a .177 caliber lead pellet, place it on my vice, using a piece of flat metal, I smack it with a hammer. To make the hole, I use a belt loop hole puncher.

Lt.FrankDrebin

Well Known Member
I guess I could try that. I also noticed that there is fuel-resistant sealant available at places like AutoZone. I could use sealant on the threads and also under the screw head. Sound like a good idea?

jdk971

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
get the size of the brass or lead washers and see if ya can find it on the internet. jim

wrench

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
Five are on the way. If you need the hole larger, just ream the inner with a pocket knife. Hope they work out for you. I used them on Thermoking diesel fittings.

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
You have very clean hands Wrench:crazy

Couldnt let Phil get in first.....

Very cool idea on the washers

Steve