Motor help needed!!!

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
What are you running for fuel delivery ???? Mechanical pump or electric,either one check for pressure and volume.........at the cut out rpm .

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
Dons thinking what I'm thinking. Do you have a pre filter and post filter? If so, check them both, or even bypass the pre filter just for a test. Anything floating in the fuel cell?

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
What have you got as a fuel tank breather?
Any restriction causing a vacuum in the tank?

Steve

Jeff Olson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Dons thinking what I'm thinking. Do you have a pre filter and post filter? If so, check them both, or even bypass the pre filter just for a test. Anything floating in the fuel cell?

Post filter after the pump, new last Sunday. Can't see much in the cell as it has foam in it to minimize sloshing in the turns. And yes steel cell has a breather cap and overflow.

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Does it diesel/or otherwise continue to run after shutting it off? I'm wondering if the distributor isn't off a tooth.

dave1961

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
We had the fuel cell foam start breaking down once and it clogged the fuel filter a couple of times before we figured it out.

Jeff Olson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Update.
Got pissed off because everything we tried didn't work, pulled out the new engine and dropped the old Adams "pooch" motor back in the car. Twisted 6200 rpm no problem, sent the concept back to the builder who put it on his dyno and says the motor is fine. Told Maria she burned the plug wires and that is why the car wasn't running right. Evidently he feels she is an idiot, she has been racing for many years already, her brothers race, her dad raced so she is no dummy when it comes to cars and engines. She then mentioned to him that the wires he said she burned were brand new race wires with protective boots and if they were burned it happened running one straightaway on a 1/4 mile track as she ended up in a wreck and went to the pits. He is claiming that those plug wires may work on her Adams motor but will not work on the concept motor. Really? Same distributor, same MSD box, same everything used on both motors but Adams runs and the new motor dies off at 4900?
If I was a betting man I would say there was a valve issue and rather than admitting he f-ed up he is figuring that being Maria is a girl he can blame it on plug wires and she will just buy it. Guess we will know when the motor comes back and we run it.
Thanks to all for their help, we tried everything you guys suggested and then some.

Jeff Olson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Have come to the conclusion it is a fuel issue. Finally put a pressure gauge in the car and under throttle it was running 11 pounds, evidently the regulator was not regulating very well. Put on a new regulator, got it dialed in at 6.5-7 pounds and ran much better, still seemed to be some issues off the corners so just for fun we took off the brand new carb and put on a "seasoned" carb and it ran better yet. I guess the engine builder was right, it wasn't the motor. BUT, he certainly didn't go out of his way to help solve the issue.