Ozzie... a first time 348 owner

ozzie7

Well Known Member
Hi All,
I'm from Ohio and just acquired a rebuilt '60' 348 FJ (correction '61'), and a couple FH blocks with an assortment of parts.
Talked to Phil Reed (his name was on the boxes the rebuilt 1147 heads came in) and he thought it would be a good idea to join this forum because there's a wealth of knowledge here that I would probably benefit from.
You could say I'm starting out a little bas-akwards since I have no car for the motor yet... but the deal was there.
I guess it's the Horse (power) before the Cart in this case.
Looking forward to tapping into the wisdom here.
So I'll be posting some questions soon in the correct forum sections.
Ozzie

Last edited:

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Welcome aboard Ozzie, Lots of good folks here but I will fore worn you about the Phil Reed character, hes a shady one...:poke

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Ozzie:

Welcome aboard! Seems like you lucked into a gaggle of 348 components, good for you :).

That FJ engine is the 340 horse single 4 barrel solid lifter build, those are somewhat rare from my perspective. In fact I've never seen one. Phil Reed, who knows all, I'm sure has seen one before.

That and a bunch of FH blocks has to be a great score, congrats!

Where in Ohio are you located? In the past we've gathered in the summers at Thompson Drag Raceway near Cleveland. This year we'll be in Bowling Green, KY.

Cheers!
TomK

ozzie7

Well Known Member
Ozzie:

Welcome aboard! Seems like you lucked into a gaggle of 348 components, good for you :).

That FJ engine is the 340 horse single 4 barrel solid lifter build, those are somewhat rare from my perspective. In fact I've never seen one. Phil Reed, who knows all, I'm sure has seen one before.

That and a bunch of FH blocks has to be a great score, congrats!

Where in Ohio are you located? In the past we've gathered in the summers at Thompson Drag Raceway near Cleveland. This year we'll be in Bowling Green, KY.

Cheers!
TomK

Thanks for the welcome folks.
Tom I'm right in the center of Ohio... yep....Centerburg.
The stuff I picked up over in Indy was part of John Farr's (Mooresville, In.) collection.
He passed away about a year ago I'm told.
When talking to Phil Reed it turns out he sold most of the parts I acquired to John.
The FJ might be a little rare I think.... I hadn't seen any before this one.
It has the following stuff...... most of it supplied by Phil.
Heads #3781147
Block#3755011, born on date G2160, suffix T0912FJ
Bell housing: aluminum #3779553 with 2 new shields. (All look like new...could be)
New flywheel 3703870 and pressure plate stamped 6936 (HD America aftermarket).
Intake: aluminum #3753748 (looks like new) **Edit: It's actually a 540 not a 748
Carb is AFB #3012S (looks like new)
HIPRO Cam : solid lifters
Ross Forged Pistons.

I'll need some stuff to finish it so I'll need to post in the Wanted ads.
Short list: Couple sets of 583/584 exhaust manifolds, starter, fuel pump, correct valve covers.

Last edited:

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
That G2160 block could be from a 1961 build back in the day (July 1960?). Not sure I know the cutoff date for 1960/61 on those castings.

Did you also acquire a few FH blocks? What are the date codes on those?

Never seen one of those 375748 aluminum intakes either, I don't get out much :).

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Welcome to the site Ozzie,,,,, look's like you have got the rare part's , now the car to find should be easier!!!!!!

ozzie7

Well Known Member
That G2160 block could be from a 1961 build back in the day (July 1960?). Not sure I know the cutoff date for 1960/61 on those castings.

Did you also acquire a few FH blocks? What are the date codes on those?

Never seen one of those 375748 aluminum intakes either, I don't get out much :).

I was wondering about the cutoff date as well since FJ was used for 60 and 61... seems like July might be for a 60 motor but maybe someone has references of production dates that could clear that up.
That would be great to know for matching numbers purposes.

From my limited resources/knowledge, the FH suffix was used for 61's .... but that's a good idea to check the date code.

Here's the FJ: (note to self....must get rid of those truck valve covers asap!)

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Are you sure about that intake casting number? Never heard of that one, normally it would be a 540 casting.
The FJ and FH both came out in April of 1960 and although they were identical to the 61 engines, they were still marketed for the remainder of the 60 model year as 320 and 335 hp respectively. In 61 they were marketed as 340 and 350 hp.

1960 348 High Perf Engine Changes TSB

ozzie7

Well Known Member
After more research, I have convinced myself that Tom is correct....this is probably a 1961 340HP (the suffix is T0912FJ)
So the block has a born on date of July 21, 1960 and the engine build date is September, 12 1960.
Most likely then, from what I have read, this time frame would put it in a 1961 Impala w/manual transmission (probably).

Also Cecil.... you have a keen eye... it is a 3780540 intake (used on 58-59 according to the casting code info on this site).
But for 60-61, it is supposed to be a 3753748 casting, again based on the info on this site and show-cars.com.
I think the man that sold me this stuff put the intake number that should (used loosely) be with the block (he also used this site for reference) in his ebay listing.
I assumed he was correct and just copy/pasted that info without eyeballing the actual casting code myself until now.
You know what they say about the word "assume" (just me in this case).

Anywho.... mostly doesn't matter since my Masterplan B was to drop this and a 700R4 into a Resto-mod 59 Flattop that I haven't even got yet.

And Tom you were asking about the FH blocks.... the suffix /date codes are:
T0502FH born on D2760
T1221FH born on K2960

Thanks everyone for your input.
And Cecil... I'll pm you about your junk (Chevy junk that is) that you mention is for sale in your sig line.

Last edited:

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
I thought that might be a "540" intake. I have a couple and I think one has a 1961 date on the underside, so they have a greater date range than perhaps the site notes?

Best, TomK

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
Tom, I am confident that these 540 intakes were also sold over the parts counter. I used to own one that had a '62 date code.

ozzie7

Well Known Member
Thankyou... that's very enlightening to know Tom and Leo on the date codes.

Tom... if yours are not mounted, could you let me know what the date codes are?
I can update my reference document with real information then.
I may have a numbers/parts matching FJ after all.

That would help with abandoning and selling off Masterplan B (the one where I drop this FJ and a 700R4 into a 59 Flattop).
This would only happen if Masterplan A (Get a 59 Impala Coupe w/348 - 335HP Tri-power, 4 Speed) would come together.
It's good to have a couple Masterplans I spose.

Thanks, Ozzie

Last edited: