62 SS Impala

thunda1962

Hi , i recently bought a 62 ss impala without a motor and transmission , i have been trying to decode the tags and found it is a real ss and not a clone , it is a gold paint and gold trim car and as far as i can tell it was built with a 327 powerglide , the acc code is ef-2 and it has 10c on the top left of the tag as well , can anyone please let me know what the 10c means , thanks ...

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
The number "10" stands for October and "C" is for the third week that the body was assembled date by Fisher body. Is the paint code 927?

Last edited:

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
The 10 is October of 1961 for the month the car was assembled(a very early car)
I bet it does not have a SS swirl trunk panel but does have the SS side trim.

thunda1962

Hi , your right , it doesn't have the swerl on the trunk but does on the sides , i was wondering about that , wasn't sure if i had to replace it but if thats the way it was built i will leave it , thanks for that , the car was originally bought new by a serviceman and the military shipped it to the Phillipines when he was posted there , when he went home the car was left behind and it was bought and shipped to Australia , that guy had it for many years in storage till i bought it recently, i only wish he didn't remove the original engine and transmission , i would have liked to keep it numbers matching .

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Early 62 SS cars Sept and Octobler and may be November did not have SS swirl trunk panels. They came with Impala Trunk panels.
You should also have a grab bar and plain aluminum panel behind it. A center console and bucket seats that fold at an angle & some other SS only items.

thunda1962

It seems my car might be a golden anniversary model , is there anything special about them ? Some of the articles i have read says they were built with an alloy powerglide which is what the previous owner told me it had , i was always under the impression they had an iron powerglide , the prop shaft has a fine spline yoke on it as well , something i thought was in the 65 models and up , ive had a couple of 63 impalas and they had the lower first gear shorter course spline powerglide , so i suppose my question is if my 62 was built with an alloy transmission would it be the course spline or the fine spline transmission , can anyone let me know , thanks .

Richard Martin

Well Known Member
The 1962 model year was the first year the full size Chevy was available with the new aluminum Powerglide but only when they were equipped with the optional 327 engines. The 1962 6-cylinder and 283 cars still had the "iron-glide". The paint color or series (Biscayne, Bel Air, Impala) had nothing to do with the availability of the aluminum Powerglide....it was the 327 engine. For the 1963 model year all the engines, including the 6-cyl and 283, that were available with optional Powerglide had the "aluminum glide".

I believe there is a registry for the 1962 927 cars.

Richard

Last edited:

thunda1962

The registery or listing of 62 gold cars is being done by Carl1962(from the Chevy talk forum for 61-64 Chevys) from Australia

See this link to some information and what he is doing :
http://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/333188/

I do not think there is a GM registery. , i appreciate any help finding out more about 62 927 cars , i live in Australia and had many chevys over the years , 58 - 64 are my favorite , althought our local built chevys never offered many if any options , 58 and 59 were belairs 4 door only with a 6 cylinder and iron powerglide , 60 to 62 had a belair 4 door and impala 4 door pillarless with 283 and iron powerglide , 63 and 64 had 327 belair and impala 4 door and an alloy powerglide ( these transmissions were 2 inchs shorter than the 65 alloy powerglide and had a course spline rear shaft as well had a lower ratio low gear plus the pump ran off the prop shaft ) , back in the day ( like 20 years ago )American 2 door imports were very desirable but out of my price range , now i have finally bought a 62 927 impala ss coupe I'm tryi g to learn as much as i can about them , thanks for your help ..
Paul
The registery or listing of 62 gold cars is being done by Carl1962(from the Chevy talk forum for 61-64 Chevys) from Australia

See this link to some information and what he is doing :
http://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/333188/

I do not think there is a GM registery.
Paul

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Interesting where some of the cars from long ago have wound up. Yes, your date of build car would not have had a spun aluminum rear panel as those would have been a December build.
Robert
December 11 1962 Bulletin jpeg.jpg

Carl 1962

Well Known Member
G'day Thunda, I know a bit about the car you bought because I bought the other Anniversary Gold SS Impala that used to be owned by Gavin Marshall. He had two and I bought the other one in 2010. I noticed that he had this second one up for sale a couple of months ago and I contacted him to say g'day and tell him I still own the first car he sold. I also started the register of 1962 Anniversary Gold Impalas because I couldn't find any reliable information of these cars. I was also very keen to decode the cowl tag information for 62's because nobody had published the ACC codes. I now have 51 Anniversary Gold cars in the register, but I don't have your car because I never got a chance to get a photo off Gavin. Send me some current photos of the car, including engine bay and cowl tag and I'll add you to the register. I'll also decode the tag for you. Incidentally, the other photo you posted of the car you own is actually a photo of my car when Gavin owned it. My email is csnelling@bigpond.com Cheers, Carl

BSL409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
G'day Thunda, I know a bit about the car you bought because I bought the other Anniversary Gold SS Impala that used to be owned by Gavin Marshall. He had two and I bought the other one in 2010. I noticed that he had this second one up for sale a couple of months ago and I contacted him to say g'day and tell him I still own the first car he sold. I also started the register of 1962 Anniversary Gold Impalas because I couldn't find any reliable information of these cars. I was also very keen to decode the cowl tag information for 62's because nobody had published the ACC codes. I now have 51 Anniversary Gold cars in the register, but I don't have your car because I never got a chance to get a photo off Gavin. Send me some current photos of the car, including engine bay and cowl tag and I'll add you to the register. I'll also decode the tag for you. Incidentally, the other photo you posted of the car you own is actually a photo of my car when Gavin owned it. My email is csnelling@bigpond.com Cheers, Carl
Are you looking for just SS cars or any Anniversary gold car info ? because I do know where one has been sitting in a junk yard for years

Carl 1962

Well Known Member
For research purposes I record information on all 1962 full-size cars, even Biscaynes and wagons. I own an Anniversary gold SS Impala, so I'm most interested in these, but if you have info on any 62, I'm interested in photos of cowl tags and the general condition of the car, even if it's in a junk yard. The database I have on 62's has photos of over 400 cowl tags and related information. I have info on about 60 different ACC codes from the 12 different plants in 62, and I still don't know what they all mean, so the more info I can gather, the easier it is to figure out what the codes mean.