Scat or Eagle?

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Scat. The eagle machining kinda sucks. They are both chinese forgings so the quality of the machine work is the only real difference.

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Scat. The eagle machining kinda sucks. They are both chinese forgings so the quality of the machine work is the only real difference.
That has been my experience as well, too many "re-do" finish machining issues with Eagle.

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
I've heard issues with both form my Pontiac buddies, as well as Ohio.

teh

The 4" Eagle I got from Showcars had enough journal taper I could measure it with my cheap Chinese mikes! had to go 0.010/0.010 to straighten out

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
Can't vouch for Scat, but was disappointed with my Eagle crank.:( On mine, the front area of the snout was not machined, the correct distance from the block. First problem, my crank gear would not go on, all the way.:batThere was a slight high spot, preventing it from going any further. After some careful filing, it went all the way on, and seated..:clapThen, the HB could NOT, go on far enough, for the pulley's to line up.:doh :wtfI had to use, a newer SBC balancer, with a corresponding timing tab, from Show Cars. Still, my machinist had to remove 1/4" off the hub, on the balancer, for the upper and lower pulleys to line up.:mad I probably, Should Have Checked this stuff, Before assembling the engine, But :no:doh. I guess, spending close to $ 800.00 doesn't mean, you will get a perfect crank.:dunno

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I remember this topic came up on the Speedtalk site where lots of engine builders post.
The consensus was that if the price was similar, go with the Scat. As others have said, the machining is more likely to be OK on the Scat.
They also said, no matter what you get, you've get to check it.

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
My snout was a hair small and had to order a hone to fit ATI hub for the balancer.

One of my Pontiac Ohio billets the filet was not right for an available bearing as well as some taper.

Last edited:

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
On mine the taper and out of round just barely was ok. Snout was undersize and had to cut .090 off the back of the cam gear. I don't want to know how far the throws or counter weights are off from being indexed properly. Last eagle I buy.

troublemaker427

Well Known Member
In the FE Ford world Scat is by far the preferred choice. I've heard a few Eagle horror stories. I'm not sure if this crosses over to W-motors but my guess is it does.

61belairbubbletop

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Ok. So my engine was built by Jack Gibbs. He used a 454 crank. Only thing I don't like about it is the external balance.
My question is, comparing Scat, Eagle, and a GM big block crank, how does the GM crank stand up to the others ?
Just curious.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
They do fine,but by the time you buy one,then have it machined properly to work I'm a W,you'll have more money in it than you would a new crank from Eagle or Scat.

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I think the 409 stroker cranks by Eagle and Scat are made from 4340 steel and they're internally balanced, so they're plenty strong.
I'm sure a factory 454 crank is also quite strong but I don't think it would be stronger that the Scat or Eagle forged cranks. :scratch

buildit

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Both Scat and Eagle are made of better material than an original crank. Have yet to see an Eagle crank that didn't need to be ground .010/,010 out of the box. (Always taper on the journals) Scat is better, but they have to be checked carefully also. I wouldn't put money into a GM crankshaft.

61 Bubble

Well Known Member
I remember this topic came up on the Speedtalk site where lots of engine builders post.
The consensus was that if the price was similar, go with the Scat. As others have said, the machining is more likely to be OK on the Scat.
They also said, no matter what you get, you've get to check it.

This is a sorta funny thread! MOST on here will never have a need for a 4340 steel crank? In fact most would "probably" be better with cast OEM or aftermarket? More forgiving we have found then most steel cranks. OEM crank would be fine for about 85% of the people on here! Infact my stroker 409 I bought off Jim IS OEM crank. And this motor went low 10's in Jim's car, 10.32 I think was what Jim quoted me. So gotta be making in the 550-575Hp range. There are plenty of BBc that make far more than my 409 does with their OEM cranks, PLUS runs at RPM that 99% of 409 would crack just talking about those numbers.

Jim is correct, once the $$$ is roughly the same, go with the Scat. BUT there is a new player in this market, Molnar. Just not sure he does one for a 409 though? The problem I think is the cost of machining to get the OEM cranks to fit the 409.

So one must ponder the intended usage of the motor/car? Once that is determined the RIGHT decision on crankshaft material, size and quality can be made. Till those factors are know, it's a moot point really.