62 Biscayne Handling Problems

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Hi guys. I was able to get the bump steer corrected on the Biscayne. Now throughout the entire front suspension travel the toe remains at 1/8" toe in.
The rear slicks are stiff sidewall.
Hopefully we can get to the track soon, just need to swap in a new set of gears.
Thanks for the replies.
Shane
What did you do to correct it??????

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Are you running stock spindles
The 62 I have been beating on is like a Sunday drive and no telling when the front end has been work on if ever.
Now my best MPH has been 109 running 12 lbs in the slicks and front runner race tires up front.
When I get to speed the only thing I am doing is watching for Brian to see if he is going to pass me.

fourspeed409

Well Known Member
20160822_193312.jpg
The first thing I did was drill the tie rod hole to 5/8" and swap the steering arms side to side. The steering stop built into the arm had to be removed because it hit the caliper bracket on the wilwood brakes. By flipping arms side to side this dropped the tie rod location about an inch. Doing this eliminated having to use thicker spacers and longer bolts through the rod end. The tie rod sleeves are Allstar aluminum hex tubes part#56609. The misalignment spacers on either side of the rod end are Allstar part#18597. I chose to use good quality QA1 5/8"rod ends (lh thread). Do your homework on this part, there are many different grades of rod ends within each manufacturer. The spacers are 1/2" washers drilled to 5/8". I didn't like how sloppy a 5/8" washer fit.
To check your bump steer place a jack stand at the front and back of a front tire while the car sits with it's weight on the wheels. Place the stands an equal distance from the tire. Jack the car up from the front cross member to the point where the suspension is topped out. Measure the distance from the tire to the stands. If there measurements aren't the same this is your bump steer. Add or remove spacers as you see fit and repeat the process until the measurements between the stands remain equal. The measurements may change from your origonal starting point as you raise the car due to the tire tipping in or out at the top. As long as the measurements remain equal front to back you are good. Repeat the process for the other side. Resized_20160822_222607.jpgI am sure there are better ways to do this but this is how I was taught to do it.
I would do some research to see if this is safe to do on a street car. Most of the drag cars I have seen have a heim joint for an outer tie rod end.
Shane

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Thanks! I wasn't sure if the tie rod had to be lower or higher. I like the tip on swapping arms. The shorter that bolt is the better. And I already have the right drill and reamer to get a tight fit of the bolt through the arm.