Fabricators, check in here.

bobs409

Administrator
Since we're fabricating :D here is the new mill getting settled in with it's first project done, a fly cutter. I made this out of 1" mild steel, it has an index-able carbide bit from HF. Works great!

Shown next to it is a piece of aluminum and a piece of steel that I ran it over. Had no trouble smoothing and straightening those out.

The work table next to the mill will be the new home of the lathe. Want to keep them together as they share a lot of the same tools that will go on that wall. Horizontal surfaces like usual are hard to come by...

DSCN6795.jpg
DSCN6793.jpg
DSCN6794.jpg
DSCN6796.jpg
DSCN6797.jpg

bobs409

Administrator
Another "fab" project I did was this collet rack to hold a set of R-8 collets for the mill. I could have bought one made of sheetmetal for $24.95 but where's the fun in that? :D

I didn't feel like drilling a ton of 1 inch holes into anything so came up with the idea of using spacers. A place nearby sells assorted sizes by the pound so I got enough for this rack and another similar rack I will be making for a set of MT3 collets for the lathe. Got all for $9 something.

Was going to make it hang on the wall but I like the free standing look of it so will sit on a shelf or the back of workbench instead. Got to practice my plug welding 20 times too!

DSCN6799.jpg
DSCN6798.jpg
DSCN6800.jpg
DSCN6802.jpg

A coat of red Rustoleum completes it. Still wet so can't put the collets in yet. :(

While I'm blabbing, today I wrapped the particle board work bench top with 22ga sheet metal and painted it with Rustoleum hammered silver. Next I moved the lathe over to be with it's new buddy the mill. :) They look happy together. :cryblow :laugh4

DSCN6801.jpg
DSCN6804.jpg

Ok, that's it for now...

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
So I have a job rebuilding one of the Mopar overdrive transmissions and needed a press fixture to compress the direct clutch spring.
I found a peace of pipe the right size and worked out a pattern to cut out with old trusty Victor slag ax then a little dressing up with a right angle grinder.
Made it tall enough for the out put shaft to be installed (it helps with assembly to have it in)
It needs the windows so I can remove the snap rings.20160829_174307.jpg 20160829_182255.jpg 20160829_190831.jpg 20160830_112118.jpg

Mearl

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
The R-8 collet is quite popular, there are other versions. It's the one shown that has a slot running up the side. There is a draw bar in the mill that pulls it up and holds it in place.
It holds the bit or cutter or whatever it's called?

bobs409

Administrator
Not technically "fabricating" but here's some pics of everything all moved over. For now some peg board, lot of re-arranging to do yet. Wanted to show this area before the chips start flying and get everywhere. :D Why is that mills and lathes have so many ins/outs and crevices? Really hard to keep clean. :clean Sorry for the pic quality on some, camera is fickle.

In the 4th pic, you can see the second collet rack I built for the MT3 lathe collets. It's the rack painted yellow. (had a full can, thought I should use some of it up) lol

Also worth noting is that I added digital readouts a.k.a. DRO's to the X & Y axis. (the X axis is the table moving left and right and the Y is the table moving forward and back) The mill came with digital readout for the Z axis (up/down of the quill) built in already. So now I'm ready for some precise machining! :)

All I gotta say is when I die, someone is gonna have a LOT of work to do cleaning up my estate! :teehee

DSCN6833.jpg DSCN6834.jpg DSCN6835.jpg DSCN6836.jpg DSCN6837.jpg