425 HP Question

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
No,the 428's never had a q-jet,but a Holley of around 735cfm.Some of the early 429's had q-jets,these were rated ar9und 360.

Greg Reimer

Well Known Member
The 583 head had deeper pockets for the valve springs because the #7735 cam had more lift.It took taller springs than the #690 heads could accommodate. There was a Chevrolet service bulletin that came out in '64 that explained all that. The proper camshaft for the '62 engine was carried over into '63 and the very early '64 400-425 engines,then in November "63 a running change took place that superseded the 690 cam and the 690 head. Interesting that the 62-early 64 400-425 cam was part #3830690, and the proper head was 3814690. Easy to remember. The 583 heads,valves and springs would work with a 690 cam, but don't try an assembled 690 head with the #735 cam, the lift is too high and will coil bind the springs. I don't even want to think of the problems that would cause. I built a 409 for myself where I used big block Chevy stainless steel valves, big block Chevy springs and a Crane #151181 mechanical cam . I used a stock 409 intake push rod and a stock 396-427 exhaust push rod. Seemed to work well with OEM 409 rocker arms, now you'd use good quality roller rockers. If you use the #7735 second design 409 cam with the 690 head,you have to go with these parts.I did it about 30 years ago.Also on some engines,varying the push rod length can increase or decrease the valve lift.Be careful out there!

Last edited:

Greg Reimer

Well Known Member
It's kinda like asking why the front of a 58 Edsel looks like a certain part of the female anatomy. The world may never know.
One of the many cars I had as a young guy was a one owner 58 Edsel Citation convertible. I worked at a gas station and the owner came in and I asked him what he was going to do with it. He said,You wanna buy it? $400. I contacted him,came up and bought it. It was a pretty good old driver,I drove it to work and at the station it was a real conversation piece. A year after I had gotten it, a car collector offered me $1000 for it, so I took him up on it. He had it about 30 years, now the car is in Pennsylvania being given a frame off restoration. I'm glad it went to a good home. Kind of a crazy thing to drive around in. I liked it,though.

Greg Reimer

Well Known Member
On a Barret-Jackson auction on TV some time ago, the usual littany of Camaro's,Mustangs,Mopars, and other things went by, none of them bringing exactly a fortune, a white and gold 58 Edsel Citation convertible rolled up. Bids rather quickly got it to 40 grand, then two guys started a war between each other for it and it went finally for 100K. I never thought those would have ever gotten that high,I'm glad my old car went to a good home.

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
Greg: In your post on Sept. 27, you talked about a z-11 cam with 690 heads. I'll tell you, what problems it would cause.:doh I did that cam change on my Chevy in 1965. Brand new cam, new Z-11 Springs, New Pushrods. :clap 2 broken valve springs, two or three bent pushrods, and 2 lobes off the cam.:eek3 What did I know. I was a dumb 19 year old kid.:(