Another Flood in Iowa

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Question, where's all the dirt going to go when everything has dried up?
Or have you figured where to move it until the next time?
Being from the Great Lakes State (Michigan) I'm familiar with the ups and downs of water levels.
Not so much fast moving river water.

Hi Dave
In a couple days I'll haul the part that is on the driveway away in my trucks. I have a location a couple miles away. The other half may spend the winter there. it will require a mini excavator and little ton dump trucks to do that, unless I come up with a better idea???

Dave

Good to hear water going down. What will you have to do to your shop????
Click on click to expand to see the answer to Royal Oaks question.
Don
I will be in there just as soon as the water is off the floor with the power washer later today or tomorrow AM. I have called a contractor to do the repairs and am waiting for the return call. I think there was maybe 2 feet in there.

Last edited:

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Dave,
With your quarry business could you not stack rock around the clay wall and make a feature out of it and just remove the area at the driveway
Just thinking that it would look ok with trees etc planted, rocks to stop the water getting at the outside of the clay with any force??
I dunno really just thinking out loud

Steve

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Dave,
With your quarry business could you not stack rock around the clay wall and make a feature out of it and just remove the area at the driveway
Just thinking that it would look ok with trees etc planted, rocks to stop the water getting at the outside of the clay with any force??
I dunno really just thinking out loud

Steve

That would look good Steve, but I'm just afraid of something higher than the 08 record, which was 3 feet higher than this one. I'm not sure my unarmored 5' dike would have held up to the 08 flood. We were around half way up on the dike yesterday. Higher dike, more pumps, larger pumps. We're looking for a different place with understanding neighbors that like guns, shooting, and a race car with headers open and slicks out front.

WE WON THIS TIME. Don't need any more experience. Had 15" in shop and looks like we would have had 8" in the house. Pressure wash shop floor tomorrow morning. Less than a foot of water in the drive now. Will be able to bring necessary stuff in by car tomorrow. Sorry to bore everyone with all this, but when all I could do was watch the pumps and worry, it helped to talk about it. Kinda like a 09 therapy group, and some need it more than others....:winner

Rowed the boat out to the truck and took Mary out to lunch today.

Last edited:

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
We are moving Mary!!!!!!!:laughingIs that the response you got Dave?????

Feel the love....:winnerIn 08 after the water came up on the carpet and started filling the house, I rowed Mary, the Shelties, and a couple bags of necessities out to the car. As I was rowing out she said "it's just a house" and we both shed a few tears on that one. I went back in to get "a little powder" I had put up. Good thing, as it would have went under.

Last edited:

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
It'seems a good thing you had that rowboat Dave ,other wise you would have been up the creek!!!!:D

Last edited:

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Bowled Wednesday night and after a couple drinks my brain kicked in. The assistant county engineer bowls on my team. I asked him if they needed some free clay in the area of my house. We started loading their trucks the next day at 1pm. They hauled all the clay away that was in my driveway and we were nice enough to load them. Finished up 8:30 am today and started washing down what was left of my asphalt driveway. It is trashed, no surprise there. We hauled all the big furniture and all the appliances in and had them hooked up by 4:30. Pics to follow.