1962 409-380-409 HP

david montanbeau

Well Known Member
Also available with 3 speeds.When I was buying all the 409s in the 70s and 80s in the Detroit area, a lady called me said she has a 62 409 with automatic 4 dr car. I'm thinking it would have to be a small block or 6 Cyl since 62 09 came only 3 or 4 speed. I go check the car and it has the 409 tags. Further research, it has the wide ground straps, rad, shroud related to the 409s and the 3/8 fuel line with a return line to the tank. Also had an aluminum power glide and a 3.36 p track. Look like someone put a body on a 63 340 frame. It also had the chrome package. Her dad bought the car brand new from a local GM dealer and he also worked for GM Tech Center in Warren MI. Got the car home and tore it apart, No EX numbers and it was a matching numbers car. I called my friend Mike Zubal to my house to show him because he said it has to be a made up car. He came over to check it out and his jaw dropped. And this guy was a 09 expert. I also had a lot of knowledge of the 348-409 cars. Had about 50 of them in the 60s to the 80s myself when I was restoring or converting cars to 09. YES!! that was even done back then. The car was made in Aug of 62. I do have pictures of the car in my 10k plus pictures and on an 8mm film somewhere.

Last edited: