Newbie Here

Darren Blake

Hi Guys

Darren Blake from Midlothian, Texas. Jet engine mechanic by trade (unfortunately in management now), however have started a new business, Blakes Musclecar LLC that's doing well. I'm a Mopar guy (please don't shoot, Lol) but now work on all makes as I have always had a passion for musclecars of all makes. This is my first 409 for a repeat customer so I'm excited about the 409 as it is a very unique engine. It's kind of the Hemi in the Chevy world regarding prices compared to it's small and big block cousins. But that's what makes it so cool as it stands out in a crowd. Again, thanks everyone for being so kind and helpful in helping me out with data and recommendations!

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Hey Darren, welcome aboard!

Tell us more about the project you are involved with (the one with the 409).

Best, Tom

Darren Blake

No problem. 63 Impala 2 door hardtop, originally a 283 car I presume, now a 4-speed. I have built a big block for this customer for his '70 Chevelle, so he is a good repeat customer. I just want to make sure I make him happy again. Here is the engine combo I'm working I'm building for him:
1963 409 X block
Factory rods and crank
Forged Pistons (came with engine when we found it, I couldn't find ANY P/N's or badging of any kind, so I'm going to have to cc the chambers to see what compression we end up with.
Edelbrock Heads
Crane Gold 1.75 Roller Rockers
Showcars Comp Cams P/N 0951 as referenced by Lonnie here at the website
Edelbrock Pushrods
Factory dual quad carters being restored by Vintage Musclecars in Ohio P/N's 3361S and 3362S
Factory Winters dual quad intake being powder coated
1-7/8 Headers

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Darren,
Welcome to the site. Lots of help here.

Be careful about the Edelbrock push rods. I had a friend that tried to use them on his 409 stroker motor in his 62 Chevy Belair bubble top and found very poor quality push rods. He even took them back to Edelbrock at a swap meet in California(hes from South Dakota) and told them they were junk( I think he had tried 1 or 2 sets and both were bad.). The edelbrock heads require different length push rods compared to stock 409 heads (My former engine builder did not check what size(length) push rods I needed for the Edelbrock heads causing a engine failure while drag racing my 409 stroker motor)

Paul