CCing Cylinder for Compression Calculation

Darren Blake

Anyone here have any experience cc'ing the combustion chamber for compression calculation? I've done conventional cylinder heads, but never in a cylinder for obvious reasons. My pistons have no P/N's that I can identify for calculating compression ratio, so I have to figure it out myself.

buildit

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
You can use a deck bridge with dial indicator, and a degree wheel, to establish an exact TDC. Then fill the chamber with modeling clay and level the top of the clay even with the deck with a precision straight edge. (I do not force the clay between the piston/cylinder wall and top ring land. You can calculate this separately.) Then pull out the clay and put into a 250cc beaker and measure the amount of water needed to fill the beaker. This gives you your chamber volume. You get your cyl. head volume with a lexan plate and measuring burette in the standard way. For the gasket chamber volume, you have two half-circles with a small rectangle between them. With the compressed gasket thickness value, you calculate the gasket volume.

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
My issue with modeling clay is the stuff sticks to the parts. You can spray WD 40 first but it can still stick. Like using it to check V-P when you cut it to check depth the always stretches as some part is stuck.

I do have here the numbers from my build block/piston and Edelbrock chamber in a post.

Darren Blake

Thank you Skip Flx. I have single valve relief Ross flat top pistons, however the only number on them is 437 which I assume is a forging number.

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
On the bottom of the piston on the pin boss area Rosses generally have engraved a job # . they usually can look it up and give you specs.

Last 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
When I was in grade school I always liked the taste of the white paste we used in Art class.

Lonnie