Metalworking project: 4 new tools

bobs409

Administrator
Made 4 new tools lately I thought I'd share with the class. :D

First up is a knurler tool for the lathe. I made this from a free plan on the net and just purchased knurling wheels from a Chinaman on ebay. lol

The plans called for steel but I opted for aluminum. Because of that, I made an extra support piece to it and it works great! I knurled aluminum and mild steel so far with 100% success!

DSCN7453.jpg DSCN7454.jpg DSCN7468.jpg

The second item on the list is from another free plan which turns a Harbor Freight 6 inch digital caliper into a height gauge/marking tool. Works great too! Set this tool and your part to be marked on a flat surface, set the height you want and scribe a line into your part. The scriber point I made from a piece of high speed tool steel.

DSCN7459.jpg DSCN7460.jpg

Third item is a pair of 4 inch steel machinist clamps. Again, from free plans I found on the net, these are a must have in any machinist tool arsenal. They came out pretty good if I do say so myself. For now, I am leaving the machining marks as I like the look but could give them a lick on the belt sander if I choose too. (notice the knurled steel ends on the screws) I am planning on using gun bluing on these so they should end up black looking.

DSCN7455.jpg DSCN7457.jpg DSCN7458.jpg

Lastly is an adjustable stop mechanism for my mill vise. (notice more of those great knurled knobs!!) This is a fast way to set up for repetitive machining operations. I use this a lot! This is made from ideas I've seen in video's and a little of my imagination.

DSCN7464.jpg DSCN7465.jpg

And that concludes today's show and tell. Maybe I'll inspire you to get out there and make something! ;)

bobs409

Administrator
Awesome Bob, just awesome. You sure are inspiring, just wish I had extra time to play with my lathe and mill.:appl:appl:appl:appl

Gonna be hard to stop when the warmer weather comes but I'll have to get back to my cars! Sure is a great way to beat the winter time blues though...

You're getting pretty good with this stuff! When should we expect the first W block?

I have a little way to go learning, didn't see any free plans on the net for one of those yet either. :D

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Bob, you loading up on China stuff before the border closes? No more Harbor Freight and Walmart?:laugh4:laugh4