Swap Meet Score

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I was digging through several milk crates of carburetors and carb parts yesterday when I found this complete tripower end carb. I thought it was probably a Pontiac carb but when I got home and ran the numbers I was surprised to find it was a 59 t0 60 Caddy.

20170108_141146_resized.jpg

20170108_141443_resized.jpg

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Isn't it interesting that a single part can spark an entire project?

I know that feeling. Hey, I have one original 1961 SS hubcap. Maybe I can use that part to start collecting a 623 block?

TomK
Yes but Tom you probably want a block not "run over by a truck" unlike the hub cap
Robert

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
When I worked in a dealership, one of the wrenches was into 4 wheel drive Chevy pickup's. One day he had a upper control arm and threw it in the middle of the floor and said, "I'm building a 4 wheel drive. He did we all laughed at him at the time.......

61-63

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I usually start with something like this and start collecting all the necessary parts to build a car around it..........or maybe sell or use it for trading material.
I just couldn't let it just sit there unrecognized in the milk crate.:dunno2

.......or maybe this guy needs a spare.

Vintage 1959 Cadillac tri power Air cleaner assembly

That is exactly what I do/have done. Part of the disease!

Agent Blue

Well Known Member
Part of the disease control is knowing what is value, saleable, and useable. If I dragged home every bargain part I would need another storage building and a loan from a friendly bank. Part of getting older is not to have a " mess " for your children to clean up. They will never know the purpose. If you marked them they do not have the time to dispose of properly to other gear heads. The big dumpster to a local scrap yard will soon appear at the great rate of four cents per pound. Maybe its a hobby within a hobby. I am trying to declutter having a few four speed transmissions and wood Corvette steering wheels stuck to my " save " box. Besides when someone enters the building I don't look like some kind of aimless " hoarder ".

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
I try to think of myself as a "hoarder with direction" :).

I do recognize that no one else in my immediate family has any interest in what I have collected to date. Well, maybe the finished cars...

My wife would recommend the "dumpster approach" (she's threatened several times already and I'm quite well) but the boys will have say in things.

In fact I just initiated a Trust where they are the sole beneficiaries. This allows easy transfer of titles and properties, etc. But often the little stuff (read: parts) falls between the cracks.

It was fun just making the list of things to pass down :).

TomK

Agent Blue

Well Known Member
Were between a trust and a will. The trust turned me off as we would have to retitle all the vehicles and pay a hundred each for title change. Be sides the land, house, and cars that would be the extent of the named property. Trusts run ( at least the places I checked ) 7-9k for the book form list. Why would it take so many hours to transcribe a single page list of items that is relative to the cost ? Also when you buy and sell the changes are not free, course what is free now days with legal fees.
Best to down size, make a list of the expensive remaining pieces and go from there. The IRS still wants the tax on IRA's even when they become part of the estate. That is one organization that doesn't miss a thing.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
You should really reconsider the trusts. Trusts provide complete ( in MO) transfer PRIVATELY to all heirs ( no probate info), assets transfer on death at current market value and more. If you are just concerned about the titles...your price of $100 is insignificant to what you would save by having the trust. Talk with another trust attorney.
Oh........trusts save HUGE AMOUNTS OF TAXES!!!!
NO.......I'm not an attorney!!! Couldn't stand the stigma of the title!!!!

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
You should really reconsider the trusts. Trusts provide complete ( in MO) transfer PRIVATELY to all heirs ( no probate info), assets transfer on death at current market value and more. If you are just concerned about the titles...your price of $100 is insignificant to what you would save by having the trust. Talk with another trust attorney.
Soooooo,You decided to become a used car/parts salesman:think,eh?:laugh4

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Isn't it interesting that a single part can spark an entire project?

I know that feeling. Hey, I have one original 1961 SS hubcap. Maybe I can use that part to start collecting a 623 block?

TomK
Ok Tom, don't get rid of the 61 SS wheel cover!! One might fly off my 61 and you will now be my GO TO GUY!!

You know the red Bubble top with the F I?? Well, that's exactly how I ended up doing that car....got the F I unit, decided to build what Chebby could have made and 3 years later there it was. Soooooo, just keep the wheel cover hanging on the wall!!' Cheaper that way!!

jdk971

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
my estate is a trust, i am the trustee trt ttee . jim

Agent Blue

Well Known Member
I think a fake " foundation " is the way to go. Notice many politicians have them. Some believe it or not hide money that never sees taxes, income source , and probably perfectly legitimate by tax law. The upper class don't pay their fair share. Its up to us low income stragglers to foot the expenses government has the luxury to fund non essential causes. For instance our out going president has seven months of full tax payer credit card usage to , how do they put it, enter private life. Remove the presidential seal and fly the foursome ( and their friends ) in a 747 to the ends of the world. Don't forget to list your $24.00 interest on your IRS form. They need any and all donations.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
I've noticed that a good number of Nascar top drivers have charitable foundations.They all seem to really do good work,but the sceptic in me wonder if at least part of this has to do with tax advantages given their incomes per year.

Agent Blue

Well Known Member
How many big name celebrities are flat broke when their fame quickly disappears ? Ever check on charities payouts they report ? Administrative fees are a huge part plus managers get a bonus and huge salaries. Consultants know tax laws and the loop holes to prevent payment by legal means. If your fooled by their flamboyancy ......... then you know some sporting events never have a predetermined outcome. Do you honestly believe top money earners write a check to the IRS like we do given the same standards ? Tax shelters in foreign countries make it easy for so called foundations to have ready cash available that is not traced. Notice the problem our government is having trying to connect owners with their foreign deposits ? Super rich tax laws help but there are many ways to prevent this activity.