Trans cooler ??

Kaycee

Well Known Member
I put a 700r4 in my 63 and needing to add an extra cooler , I bought 1 from a swap meet last Feb. but yet to install. Everytime I got to the salvage yard I keep seeing all the trans coolers on the newer GM trucks cause all the front clips are gone. I kinda like the looks of them little alum. coolers and would think that they would cool a little better and they are a smaller unit than the flimsy hayden cooler I bought . Any thoughts as to why this is a bad idea , flush it good and convert it to rubber line ????

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
The larger cooler will likely dissipate more heat than those factory ones just from it's size.If you knew the size of the cooler that is built into the radiator of the newer ones,it might give some insight.As to the retro cooler install,do not eliminate the cooler that's within your existing radiator,but plumb it in series with it.Yes,flush out your swap meet cooler,and use high pressure or"fuel injection" spec.hose.

ROYALOAK62

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Had GearStar from Akron re-build my 700r4 I supplied them, a few years ago.
They suggested to use trans cooler with a external fan combo.
Mounted it under the cooler/fan under the passenger front bumper corner, on my 62 Impala.

Dave

Kaycee

Well Known Member
I have 1 on my 69 C-10 and run it in series also ,just like the idea of a smaller cooler may just install the 1 I got and be done with it.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I use to use the long tube type with fins about 20". Installs nicely on the back side of frame so you can't see it. Cooled perfectly.