63 SS Revisited.....Project Z

Phalen409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Don't mind my ignorance but what is special about it?

In Early 63 this pulley was obsolete and changed to a new style. Since these motors were built in 62, before GM left racing, the Z-11's should have this pulley (as I understand it). I will post a picture of the one most seen on 409's later today.

Note the smooth inner portion of the 2 piece pulley. You can see the difference on the one I will post up later.

The reproductions are (were) made in one location, but are not currently reproduced. Originals show up on E-bay and are usually in poor condition.

Phil can correct me on these descriptions as he usually does!!!

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Thanks for the instructional. Just was curious what was unique about it. Guess I assumed those motors shared a pulley from the high horse 409

Phalen409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
IMG_3724.JPG IMG_3723.JPG I'm sure you guys may be a little tired of seeing all this stuff, but Carl dressed and cleaned up all of the old welds on the top half of the intake. They were pretty rough looking with some descent sized welding defects from years past. Not only does it look great now, it is certainly stronger. Pretty psyched!!!

Still can't find to valley cover???????...:dunno...Carl.......???????:rub

Phalen409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
20170525_142253.jpg 20170525_142243.jpg 20170525_142312.jpg Lt. Wheelhouse is off and all cancer is about cut out on the driver side. During the previous "high dollar" restoration, the rot was cut out and covered, but not on the back side!!!...........It will be cut out and replaced with new steel. This re-restoration is teaching me a lot about what is good work and what is crap......and not to mention trust. Whoever winds up with this "new" car of mine will get one that has been done right. Crazy!!:facepalm:facepalm

Phalen409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
IMG_2161.jpg IMG_2162.jpg IMG_2163.jpg IMG_2164.jpg IMG_2169.jpg IMG_2170.jpg IMG_2171.jpg IMG_2172.jpg IMG_2172.jpg Trial fitting the wheelhouse and Lt. rear quarter. Removed package tray-to-trunk sheet metal as there were some pinholes in glass channel and under stainless trim areas. Never ends...........but glad I did as the was a nice layer of rust. DA'ed it all and the metal is bright and rust is finally gone from the body now. Should be no more surprises. Wheelhouse and quarter are really going together nice (so far). :pray

IMG_2161.jpg IMG_2162.jpg IMG_2163.jpg IMG_2164.jpg IMG_2169.jpg IMG_2170.jpg IMG_2171.jpg IMG_2172.jpg IMG_2172.jpg